Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Controversial question: Do you believe you are "sober" taking benzos?

Notices

Controversial question: Do you believe you are "sober" taking benzos?

Old 10-26-2018, 08:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Controversial question: Do you believe you are "sober" taking benzos?

If you are taking benzos (ie - xanax, klonopin, ativan etc) are you considered sober? I am talking about taking them under the guidance of a psychiatrist and not taking more than instructed. Technically, they work on the same "receptors" as alcohol, so many in AA consider them NOT to be sober.

I know that AA should not have an opinion, but I was wondering what others on here think. I personally think that you can be sober - maybe you're not "clean" but if you're not abusing them and truly have an anxiety disorder and your quality of life is increased then I think they are OK. With that being sad, I take mine before bed under the instruction of a doctor who knows I am in AA and continues to prescribe.

I have been told that my doctor is crazy if he gives them to me knowing I am an alcoholic and that I should find a new doctor. Many times these opinions drive me away from AA. Just wondering what you guys think...

Thanks!
Old 10-26-2018, 08:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Although I keep track of both alcohol and benzo's, I do have some pills for anxiety. I rarely take them, but I don't count them against my sobriety days. They are from a doctor and I cut them in half. So they are .5 and when I cut them they are .25mg. Just a small dose when and if I need it. Maybe that is wrong to not count them but I don't. I do keep track of the days since I took one, it's been maybe 50 or so. It is not an every day habit like alcohol was.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I take an occasional prescribed Ativan to help with anxiety-like symptoms that occur when my wonky nervous system goes so completely haywire that all the best efforts at non-medical management are overwhelmed.

My last drink was in March 2013. My outlook and reactions to life have completely changed since my drinking days, and I have no inclination to get drunk or high. I consider myself rock-solid sober, and thankfully at this point I don't really have to care what anyone else thinks.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I have a prescription for xanax and take it twice a day, when needed. I don't always need it and never abuse it so I consider that yes, I am sober.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Are you taking them for sleep?
Old 10-26-2018, 10:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Are you taking them for sleep?
Yes. I don't take during the day.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've been considering getting a prescription for anxiety. If it helps me and I stick to the suggested use, I wouldn't count it against my sobriety.
Old 10-26-2018, 11:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It is prescribed and you are ok then fine. If not consult another doctor.

I wouldn't bother with the "your not in the sober club" comments because you take medicine.

Old 10-26-2018, 11:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If it doesn't have a negative effect on your life or live's of others,there should be no concern IMO.
Old 10-26-2018, 11:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was prescribed Ativan when I was going through medical detox and for about two and a half weeks total out of four while I was in an open campus rehab center. The Ativan did make me feel better, as I was suffering a lot of anxiety, and I was taking Trazadone for sleep. I was told about a potential for returning to drinking if I continued to take Ativan, by a psychologist on staff (not a psychiatrist).

Taken as prescribed under the care of a physician, I don't see a problem with that. I'm too busy with my own sobriety, and medically unqualified, to worry about whether or not use of a benzo is a criteria for being a sober, recovering alcoholic and am generally skeptical toward people who are ready to make judgments of this type.
Old 10-26-2018, 12:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I know a lot of people in AA who take benzos, they are prescribed to them and they are doing well.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I take Ativan , as needed for anxiety and I don't abuse them like I did alcohol. These are prescribed, and I take them as prescribed....so no, I don't think this affects my recovery and I don't see a problem with it.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

In short, yes. I take Ativan for anxiety, an as needed daily prescription. I have needed it more or less at different times during my 2 yr 8 mo of sobriety and recovery. It has been important for me to learn other coping tools for my anxiety as well as to differentiate degrees and such so that I am judicious. I trust my psych completely and am completely honest with her, including times I have wanted to take more than I should based on something g that's going on. I don't do that, and we have me on several meds that work together including anti anxiety effect.

No pill will cure my alcoholism and for me responsible use of a prescription medication given by an expert doctor has no bearing on my sobriety other than to be one gig that bolsters my recovery. And what others do or think about this choice is their business and has no importance for me.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I use Ativan as prescribed by my Physician. I don't consider it to be in the same class at alcohol at all. I don't know what effect it has on others. But they don'e make me high or lower my inhibition level as alcohol does. It's a very subtle, calming effect.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I take Klonopin for a serious anxiety disorder and have had to take it for a number of years. I do not count it against my sobriety. Sometimes people get judgemental about these things. I don't think it's anyone else's business, so I rarely speak of having to take them! I am right now, very slowly, lowering my dosage, under a doctor's care. I'm very lucky that I have a great psychiatrist.

Please, from experience w/ benzos off and on for a long time, do not take more than prescribed. Be judicious as they can be extremely difficult to come off of. I think if you are seeing a psychiatrist (which I do) and follow his/her directions to the letter, if you can, some people can't, I don't think it is a problem. If you need them, you need them.

Good Luck! I'm only telling you my experience and trying to be supportive and careful. In the end only you know if it is the right thing for you. Again, Best of luck.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

As you stated, if you have an anxiety disorder and these medications are prescribed by your doctor to control it and you aren’t abusing, it shouldn’t be a problem. As far as these meds acting on the same receptors as alcohol, there are still so many other factors involved in how these meds work on brain chemistry, and I absolutely don’t see alcohol as being in the same category. So I don’t see taking medication as counting against your sobriety.
Old 10-27-2018, 05:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well I'm not sure I'd take them myself for sleep because of their highly addictive nature. I'm having a hard enough time coming off a drug that doesn't have high abuse potential for sleep. There might be better solutions than benzos but that's between you and your dr.

Have you asked your doc about stuff like valerian? I've started taking it and it definitely works. It can interfere with other drugs, especially stuff like benzos, so don't take it without a drs ok.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:03 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Regarding what Frickflip said, I’ve also taken Valerian at night for sleep. It has worked for me. I tapered off prescription sleep meds a few months ago and have been able to get quality sleep with natural stuff. I also have anxiety and have tried numerous anti anxiety meds, all of which had side effects I didn’t like. I worked with a naturopath and started some great natural supplements. It took a while to find the right mix. I was also having menopause symptoms. Something to consider and talk to your doctor about. It depends on your diagnosis and the level of severity also. I think my case is fairly mild and often situational. If I had more severe anxiety, bipolar, etc, I’d stick with the prescription.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I’m in good company I see. I need to refill my klonopin. So many of us must have drank to deal with our anxiety, I’m not alone here. I would be very worried about Ativan. I blacked out on a plane on Ativan and attacked my husband.
I find klonopin and celexa help me to function normal. That’s key, are you taking the prescribed dose correctly for a legitimate reason? Then yes you are sober. Are you taking more than the prescribed dose, or buying illegally to lay in bed all day and avoid the world? Then no you are not sober, you are addicted. Same with pain meds. I’ve always taking the dose or less than for both pain meds or depression anxiety meds, I don’t ruin my life or make horrible decisions on them so I’d say I’m sober. To me, if something helps you live a healthy normal life it’s okay. With alcohol I was so destructive. My friend once told me I’m the most self destructive person she knows because of my drinking. I’m ready to be constructive and healthy, if doctor prescribed meds help me then same as any other illness, I should heal myself. In time, once I get on a healthier path in life maybe I won’t need them.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:15 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Grateful

Before I got sober I was on Ativan 1mg 3 times a day and took every dose. When I got sober my doctor bumped that up to 2mg 3 times a day while I was detoxing. I am now 5 and a half years sober, have worked the steps, and continue to practice the principles of the AA program today. I have a prescription for Ativan 0.5mg twice a day as needed. I can now go days and sometimes weeks without taking a dose. I see my doctor every 6 months for a checkup and new prescriptions and we discuss my anxiety levels.

My goal has been to get completely off of them, but not at the expense of suffering unnecessarily. I've learned to deal better with situations that may cause some slight anxiety in my life, but I still have the prescription handy for when the anxiety "gets away from me". I've been treated for anxiety since the late 90's so it's been an ongoing issue for me for over 20 years. My sponsor's only advice was to be rigorously honest with myself and my doctor when it comes to benzos.

I went through a long weaning process to get from 2mg 3 times a day around the clock to 0.5mg twice a day when needed. We affectionately call it my "in case of emergency break glass" supply and that's how I treat it. I have reached the point where I can usually tell if the anxiety I'm experiencing can be kept under control without the need to take anything or if I need a little help. At this point my doctor gives me 60 of the 0.5mg tablets and I have some left over when I see him 6 months later.