Notices

Changed my clothes

Old 10-25-2018, 08:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Changed my clothes

Hi all,
I’m coming up on a yr Nov 4th, It went really fast. My recovery started with AA meetings . Honestly my brain was so fried that I really couldn’t hold a straight thought and I was pretty puzzled by the suggestions.
I could understand surrender, forty yrs of drinking I was done , I had my lot , I abused alcohol and it abused me. Mentally,, physically, spiritually done
I knew I had to change things in my lifeI just didn’t know where to start. I drank almost everyday I would go to the bar at 12 in the afternoon stay for a few hours and finish the job at home usually 8 to 10 hrs a day.
My mornings were driving my son to school coming back home watch some tv fall back asleep wake up shower and go to the bar . Rinse wash and repeat.
So I had to change something tangible. I found an AA meeting at 11 am.
I started to get out of bed at 530 in the morning when my wife would get up for work.; would shower and shave and dressed at 6 am. I also bought some new clothes,basically jeans button down shirts etc because I was dressing like a slob for yrs. I wore a suit for 27 yrs so I thought I could look like a bum .
Little by slowly I started to feel better, I wanted to drink everyday for the first 3 months but that thought started to ease. I still attend AA usually 5 meetings a week . I enjoy it. Have a sponsor working the steps, still have my ups and downs but I’m walking thru it.
I tried AA 20 yrs ago , I was always waiting for the bright light,God tapping me on the head and Boom!, I’m cured never happened. I’m still not heavy into the God thing maybe that will come.
There are many ways to get sober find one that works for you, Embrace it , sobriety is so much better than the “life” I had before. For me it started by waking up earlier. It wasn’t that easy but it was a start.
I hope this makes a little sense , I used to be a smart guy, still have problems getting my thoughts together .
I
Old 10-25-2018, 09:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The first year sober is quite a milestone. Congrats on the first of many sober years.

And yes, you are making sense.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds to me like you're on the right road Kdon

D