Notices

hello old friends

Old 10-11-2018, 04:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hello old friends

As my anniversary date approaches , 10- 14 ( and midnight blue's ) I am so grateful to be sober . I am so grateful to be aware of myself. I am so grateful to love myself.

I am grateful for my alcoholism because it taught me about myself.

Once I felt gratitude for myself , I became grateful for everyone in my life. Including the abusers , liars, thieves, manipulators for without them I wouldn't know what I now know. Understanding of the fragility of the heart. Peace and acceptance. Surrender.

I give thanks to this gathering of suffering souls who in the midst of our pain we are able to heal each other.

I have not had a drink since I stumbled onto this site in 2012 and I am grateful for that.

I remember living in my bathrobe for 2 weeks, afraid to go outside because I knew I would buy alcohol. I went from drinking a quart of whiskey every day to nothing. I typed and I read articles on this site. I learned there was more than one approach to getting free and it worked.

This year I ask myself," will I always remember the day I stopped drinking? " I rattle off my sober date like my date of birth when I find myself talking about addiction. I wonder if it's healthy.

Am I counting the days like a jail sentence? Do I subconsciously think that by holding the day is really a way of saying," I'm healed now?" What is the truth ? Am I counting the days to prove I can drink again? Possibly. I don't know.

I divorced my husband two years ago. I live by myself but I am not alone.

Why do we remember our stop dates? Does that mean I am in a state of resistance to my alcoholism ?

Before I go , I want whomever reads this that you have come to the right place for healing. Don't give up. Love yourself and your divine spirit. Feeling yourself is a beautiful . You are beautiful.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks escapist

I have only been free from the chains of my addiction since the end of May.

And in just a short time, and sometimes it seems like a long time, I am seeing things more clearly including my boundaries and the relationship I have/or had as of 10 days ago.

I quit smoking on Halloween in 1987 at 5:23 PM . After my first year of recovery from nicotine, I did not count my days but I did count my months. And after a couple years I started to count my years and not my months .

I remember quitting several times before I made it that Halloween. And I think I remember it not because I want to smoke cigarettes again, because I don’t! I don’t want to die that way if I can help it.

I think I remember the date because I am proud myself, to give myself a pat on the back about how strong I am and to remind myself that I can do anything I set my mind to .

Congratulations on your almost 6 years!!
Old 10-11-2018, 06:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Congrats escapist
Old 10-11-2018, 06:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's amazing, escapist! It is great to hear tales from the other side. They are more inspiring than you can imagine.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's wonderful to see you, escapist! Congratulations on all those beautiful years of sobriety. It's so good to know you're doing well.

I have my stop date written on my calendar - every month. I don't know why I do that, but it can't hurt.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's great to see you here, and to know that you're doing so well.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great to hear from you escapist and what a great update
Congrats on your recovery time

D
Old 10-11-2018, 10:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I too am grateful for my alcoholism because without it I wouldn't be the man I am today. I learned a lot from having to overcome it, and realized that I had a lot more strength than I thought.

Just checked the app. 520 days sober from alcohol and benzos and lunesta, and 400 from nicotine. Probably about two years from cocaine.

Done.