Notices

New to Recovery

Old 09-22-2018, 07:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to Recovery

So today I am 17 days 9 hours 42 mins sober. I have been a alcoholic for 20 plus years and something clicked so I just stopped one day. My only fear is now dealing with all the things I never dealt with the last 20 years. I feel great and don’t know why I don’t feel different. Like I never had any withdrawals like others I just wanna feel differently isn’t that a crazy thought I know I am lucky I didn’t have terrible withdrawals. Everyone says cause I didn’t wake up drinking I only drank every night. Hmm I am not sure. Anyways just sharing my days
Old 09-22-2018, 07:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Muwee,

Awesome and dangerous.

I remember feeling similar when I was 27. I quit for 8 months. It seemed easy.

So easy that my AV said...why not start up again. Live like a rock star...quitting is easy.

Quitting gets harder and harder each relapse. I technically relapsed hundreds of times. I would quit for 3 to 90 plus days. Then start up again.

When I tried to finally quit for good, at 80 days clean I was losing my mind. Probably what happens to people and they go to the Dr. Get meds and keep drinking.

They tell me here, that mixing meds and booze is another level of awesome buzz, but another level of hell on earth to quit. Permanent brain damage kind of hell.

I don't want to see if what I hear is right first hand.

The AA bigbook refers to booze as cunning. Quitting seems easy, but really that is a trick. Folks still crave like a crack head for months and years. Folks regret relapse after decades of sobriety. The crave is for life. It is chronic and a slow death sentence if given into.

This place, AA, and any recovery method remind us of that....as much as we need to be reminded. The AV waits patiently. The AV doesn't get any weaker. I get weaker and give into the crave if I don't keep the horrors of addiction fresh in my mind.

But, while doing that I must live my life happily. I do that, but there is always the crave. I call it growing up.

Whatever it takes.

Thanks.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

WELCOME- no w/d's is good- but it is not a sign that booze is not harmful. Well done on stopping...I need regular support to maintain my recovery- here, meetings, counsellor.
Support to you.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi there Muwee72

Congrats on getting sober, l didn't have any withdrawals when l quit either because l think l was more emotionally than physically addicted. But that doesn't mean it's any less dangerous its more if anything because it feels easy. During my first two months sober it was easy but once you get more time under your belt falling off that pink cloud can result in some bruises.

It can be easy to quit but staying quit is harder, dealing with all the things you have avoided over the past 20 years is a challenge but such a rewarding one. Do you a plan in place in case things get tough?

Good luck
Old 09-22-2018, 04:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome muwee - I'd just be glad you've had a good run so far...just don't start thinking it means you don;t have a problem - been there, done that

There's a lot of support encouragement and good ideas here - glad to have you join us
Old 09-22-2018, 04:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you stay sober for good.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to have you with us, muwee! Congratulations on your new alcohol-free life.