Notices

For your inspiration..maybe..

Old 09-10-2018, 12:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

For your inspiration..maybe..

I don't post often, I don't even really check here as often as I should. With that being said, I have been an alcoholic as long as I can remember, and had no long periods of sobriety with the exception of pregnancies. My last "long" period was 5 days 3 years ago. Today, I am on day 6. My physical withdrawals seem to be at bay, I've been working out every day, and eating right. I allow myself about 2 diet cokes a day and about 4 cigarettes. I told my friends (they don't need to know yet) that I was going on an alcohol fast after Labor day for the month of September to focus on fitness and weight loss. They seemed to be shocked, and most disappeared into the woodwork, guessing I'll hear from them again around month's end.

I don't know what October will bring, I've been considering "OctSober" But I don't know. What I do know, is my current goal is to see this month through, sober. What I DO know, is I feel great today, and I'm not worried I'm going to have a seizure in my sleep. What I DO know is that I haven't laid on the couch all morning while my toddler watches tv. I DO know that I don't have to be embarrassed putting on mascara in front of my daughter from the shaking. I know that I feel good today, and that I made it to today. And it's the longest I've gone so far since my last pregnancy (4 years ago). I'm sure not in the 120 day club (yet, maybe?) but I DO know that I did 6 days, and I have the strength, energy and positivity to go another day, and hopefully through the month. I decided to try not to break a promise to myself for a change. Also, I've been praying thanks to God for my strength, and continued strength (If that's what you're into).
I just thought maybe someone could gain inspiration from this. I feel good today and I hope you do, too, or maybe you will in 6 days.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You’re right it has inspired me to keep going for my child.
Thank you
Old 09-10-2018, 01:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by adenough1 View Post
You’re right it has inspired me to keep going for my child.
Thank you
I hope we can both make our children proud. Stay strong, they need us.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back jbhall and congrats on 6 days

D
Old 09-11-2018, 06:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome back. Getting sober for our kids was and is a big motivator for me. Good work, keep it moving.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks, guys! Still sober, day 7. Still feel great! The temptation is still lurking, like.. "once this month is over..." I hope to be able to change my inner message by month's end.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

no hope, do - you're in charge jbhall

D
Old 09-11-2018, 10:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Support to you..well done.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good stuff! Congrats on day 6 !!!
Old 09-14-2018, 03:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

JB,

Thanks for a great post, it brought tears to my eyes. We all do this much in the way that you describe. My sobriety date is December 2009, but each day I need to recommit to my sobriety.
"I have the strength, energy and positivity to go another day." <--- This.
In my experience, that is the only way any of us can do this... today, and only for today. I can't worry about next week, next month, or next year... I can only stay sober now, today. When the sun rises tomorrow, I will take whatever strength, energy, and positivity I have and stay sober with it. Some days, I don't have a lot of wiggle room for extra stuff - so I always need to make sure I don't use the "gas in my tank" I need to stay sober on something less important. Because when all is said and done, all the things that truly matter to me depend on my sobriety, so it must come first.

Thanks for sharing your experience, strength and hope.

-Eddie