Notices

I'm So Tired Of Being A Drunk

Old 09-08-2018, 12:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm So Tired Of Being A Drunk

I feel like I'm living the same day over and over. I wake up and promise myself I will stay sober, but the day always ends with me passed out drunk. Every single day! How do I break this cycle? How do I make it stop? I don't want to be a drunk.
Old 09-08-2018, 12:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR. Wanting to quit is step one. But a goal is just a dream without a plan.

Read around the site. You'll see there are lots of ways to get sober and stay sober. It starts with not drinking. So start with stop trying to convince yourself that it would be okay to drink.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's pretty much addiction 101, yeah?

Go to bed sober tonight.

Do that again tomorrow.

No matter what - don't pick up that first drink.

Keep doing that. That's how you do it.

If you find you just can't do that, how about AA or the doctor?
Old 09-08-2018, 01:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Being an alcoholic wanting to stop without a plan is like ground hog day over and over. Besides coming here to SR on a regular basis, I agree with Bimini. Consider going to AA, and if your withdrawals are unmanageable, get to the dr for medical help. Getting I to therapy was very helpful for me also. Be kind to yourself and take it one day at a time.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You start by getting rid of any alcohol you have and don't get any more. You have to decide deep in your soul, that you want to be sober more than you want to drink. Not easy, but simple. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Read around the forums and see what others are doing/have done. Wanting to stop drinking is great, having a plan is what gets it done.
Old 09-08-2018, 05:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome mhanley

yeah I pretty much stayed fixed to SR for the first few days - not saying you need to do what I did to that extent - but this place is great for support and for understanding.

Its also great for reminding yourself that taking one more drink really does matter and that change comes from different decisions.

I read my own story over and over here in others posts - you're not alone

Hope you to see you around some more
D
Old 09-08-2018, 05:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I can completely relate to that feeling. By the end of my drinking, I was just so over it, exhausted and sick constantly, functioning so far below my full capacity. Like others, I just picked a day, joined a monthly class, and started reading and posting as much as I possibly could. You can do this.
Old 09-08-2018, 05:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Stay with us, mhanley. You'll find encouragement & caring here as you get sober. I'm glad you're fed up with your current lifestyle. Please know you are never alone.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

For the first month, I stalked SR like it was going out of fashion - the Arcade (up top) the word games (down below) - I still after all this time re-appear if I get ' the urge' It works - trust it, trust the mods and trust the members x
Just realised, it's the 9th again, but without sitting and working it out, NO idea how many months now - hang in there - do not drink whatever the circumstances you find yourself in and you'll get to this point too. Trust me, it's worth it. It doesn't seem like it in the beginning, because all you have to think about is drink - life moves on though and with it so will you.
As a youngster, you got through all sorts before you even drank - try and think back to how you coped with things back then.
Treat yourself on weekends, to things you liked as a kid - I did that - treated myself to sweets, icecream and all the things I liked back then.]
I DO think it's important to treat yourself on weekends, or you feel left out'
Stay strong and remember SR is 24/7
Hugs x
Old 09-08-2018, 08:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mhanley50 View Post
the day always ends with me passed out drunk. Every single day! How do I break this cycle?
I chose a six week inpatient rehab. I realize that's not an option for everyone, but I do think that folks that drink like I did may need to break the routine in a big way. Even after six weeks basically locked away from booze, it was still very hard. Though I was completely against becoming an AA person, I went to the meetings because I had no better idea what to do. My routine became AA meetings daily, working the steps with a sponsor, working with a psychiatrist for over a year, and service work. I've been doing that since February of 2010.

You are right that it is not easy. But it is possible - if you find that what you tried so far doesn't get you sober, it only means you need something more intense that what you previously tried, We are not lost until we refuse to get up and try again.

Good luck - you can do this!
Old 09-08-2018, 11:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You're not alone MH. Keep talking to us here.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Welcome Mhanley50,

It sounds like visiting this site is not your first attempt to sober up. I can relate to making a decision in the morning to not drink that day, and ending up drinking later the same day. Sometimes, when I ran out of money or I was too sick to drink, I could make that decision stick for several days in a row. Once a few days had passed I was out from under the physical craving, and I just had the mental obsession to contend with. That always caused my eventual undoing.

If You have been unable to break out for even one day, my suggestion is to book yourself into detox somewhere. You might just need the security, safety and time out such a facility can bring.

It might also be wise to make contact with your local AA folks, they can probably help you find a good detox, may visit you, and would certainly be there to help you when you are discharged.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I can definitely relate to that "I don't want to be a drunk" part you said. What I had to finally do was decide that what I DID want was to be sober, more than anything else. Then I could start with suggestions on the how to do it that folks are mentioning.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
What I had to finally do was decide that what I DID want was to be sober, more than anything else.
I like that positive way of framing it
Old 09-09-2018, 01:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

So many of us have been there. You aren't alone.

My opinion and experience is - in the first few days especially - you have to really prioritize and almost obsess about not drinking. Read the heck out of things around here, post often. Look to other sources - like inspirational YouTube videos (I liked Bob D, an AA speaker with a lot of vids on YouTube.)

For 3-4 days at least don't worry about anything except the very basics. Show up where you have to (work, etc.) otherwise take a bunker mentality, get some ice cream and a few good movies, and just let your body get good and detoxed.

Everything else can wait. You just need to get a few days under your belt to get off to a good start.

You can do this. You are worth it. Treat yourself with compassion.

-B
Old 09-09-2018, 08:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You can make it stop. Many of us were drink till passing out everyday drinkers.
I drank till passing out pretty much everyday for about 15 years.
I would seriously think about talking to a doctor. Just be honest about how much you drink and that you want to quit. Just a warning though. If they give you a script for meds to quell the withdrawal they may not prescribe them to you again if you relapse and come back wanting more.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Make it count.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:11 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Believe you can do it because you can. Many of us here, me included, have been in the same position as you are.

Get rid of the alcohol you have and don't buy anymore today. Distract yourself using anything that works for you, even if for just a few minutes.

Each day you get through will make the next day a bit easier.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Michael2018 View Post
I like that positive way of framing it
That's my overall outlook on recovery! The best thing I have ever done was get sober and every single thing I have now is because I did, and live a life with a backdrop of recovery. My drinking years were harrowing and I didn't quit til I finally HEARD that I would die, and in short order, if I didn't. I wouldn't trade my experience for anything because it got me to a way of living that I didn't even have before the alcohol took over.