Notices

Brain develoment

Old 09-05-2018, 08:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Brain develoment

I lucked-in on an hours lecture on brain development yesterday, from a top psycho therapist or some such. I’m very much a lay person and I’m sure others have researched this loads but I heard two things that really rang a bell

1 - experiences are heightened in teenage years. We chase the highs we experienced but our brains don’t/can’t reach those highs as we get older. For those who started drinking in teens like me it reinforced what I am learning already - ‘Do not idealise drinking. Smashing it up in the sun (it was always sunny of course!) with mates and pretty girls at 15 is NOT possible when drinking at home in your late 30’s’. It’s so obvious to anyone but an alchie

2 - the brain creates pathways that are built through repeat repeat repeat. And more repeat. And more. Your brain is literally recreated through habit.

So I’m going to work on my habits daily. Starting now by not drinking for this 24
Old 09-05-2018, 10:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Love this post, thank you for sharing and for the reminder
Old 09-05-2018, 12:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Ben123 View Post
...the brain creates pathways that are built through repeat repeat repeat. And more repeat. And more...
Emphasis mine.

You cannot build new ways of thinking by doing the same thing you've been doing. If you want to stop thinking about alcohol, you must stop drinking alcohol whenever you think of it!
Old 09-05-2018, 12:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Been thinking about this also.

I started at 14 and 27 now.

I think I may have some damage because at 27 and sober (sober as I can be) my social skills are just, well.. not there as much anymore. But Whilst I was on a constant long drunken stupor/high, they are abit more present.

As i finished writing this I realised i must just be very uptight when sober and my 13 years of drinking keeped me constantly loose.

My 2cents
Old 09-05-2018, 04:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

But Whilst I was on a constant long drunken stupor/high, they are abit more present.
I dunno about you but I was pretty obnoxious and embarrassing as a drinker..

Being loud overbearing and brash is not the same as being socially confident or having mad social skillz.

I'm OK with being a little more socially awkward/reticent
Old 09-15-2018, 03:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

good post, thanks

support to you