Notices

Message for newcomers to sobriety

Old 08-30-2018, 12:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Message for newcomers to sobriety

Hi there, (english isn't my main language so sorry for any errors)

Today I wanted to share some ideas that have helped me in sobriety in general and that might be of some help to newcomers.
For many years, 11 years to be exact i struggled with alcoholism. I didn't understand it was an actual addiction until many years into my own strange behavior.

Have you ever had those days where life just seemed dull? Things would upset you? You would want to celebrate something and all of them would be tied to drinking? I have, and i think many of us have similar situations.

Well, it took me a long time before I honestly found a place of acceptance in my own life, a place where I realized I must dare to make peace with who I was and what my life had become. I had to forgive myself and others, slowly but surely sooth myself away from any shame that can lure us back into drinking very quickly.

Now you might feel there is something wrong with you, but I would like to remind you there is nothing wrong with you. It only seems to be so, because in a way I guess we can say our own hearts know there is more happiness in store for us then we are allowing to flow into our lives due to our tendency to numb the mind all together by using drugs or alcohol.

If you are suffering, if you are alone, if you are in despair, if you feel like life will never be good for you ever again, I want to remind you that you still have an opportunity to make things better for yourself. Everyday, is a NEW day, and no matter how many times you stumble, fall back, relapse etc, our goal should be sobriety and not beating ourselves up for our failures or shortcomings.

I dont know what has happened to you, or what you are currently facing, but one thing I do know is that you deserve to be happy, you deserve peace of mind and deserve to be free from your own suffering. Remember, no matter how bad life seems to get, it ultimately must mean something wonderful is available to you as well. The worse things seem to be because of where our attention is placed currently, the greater the joy in store for you when you do break free from that point of view; in other words the very thing that is bothering you so much.

If we can work with our minds, not forcefully, but peacefully and just analyse or own behavior and dare to look at what's causing us to do what we do, we might develop new wisdom and a resolve that helps us overcome our addiction once and for all. This doesn't mean the AV never shows up or anything, but it does mean we took back control of our own minds.

That is who you really were before you became addicted, a magnificent human being who just got off track, but magnificent you still are, remember this.

The joy that is in store for you cannot be even described in words, I can only say how it is for me and I personally have no struggle at all to stay sober, or to see others drink or be surrounded by them, for I have made peace with my own soul and have found renewed joy that comes from within and not because of a substance any longer.

I know you too, can find this place, the question remains: Are we actually ready to embrace sobriety all together? Or are we still keeping one foot in the world of addiction and the other in the world of potential sobriety? I guess my point with this whole message is to remind you that you CAN be free of your addiction, of your sorrows, of all this suffering but it is up to us to make it so, since nobody can do our thinking for us or take the actions we would have to take in order to save our own souls.

Keep studying sobriety, keep analysing what it means to be sober; and then one day it will all start to make sense, one day you finally realize you can be happy as a sober person after all! Never give up the good fight. The joy of living comes from within, and that is where you will find it.

I believe in you, good luck!

Kind Regards,
R Gort
Old 08-30-2018, 12:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

wonderful post! Thank you
Old 08-30-2018, 01:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
quat

Great post!
Congratulations on your decision, you deserve it !
Old 08-30-2018, 02:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for such a lovely post
Old 08-30-2018, 02:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nice
Old 08-30-2018, 02:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What a lovely post! Thank you for taking the time to write this to help others in early sobriety. You have succeeded in helping this alcoholic today!!! 😀
Old 08-30-2018, 03:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR and congrats on 11 years Ranil
D
Old 08-30-2018, 03:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you.
Old 08-30-2018, 05:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This is one of the best posts I've seen in awhile. Thank you so much for taking the time to bring us all hope and encouragement. Yours words are so powerful and just what we all need to hear. Thank you again and blessings to you <3
Old 09-09-2018, 09:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life is good

R Gort,

Thank you!

Beautiful reminders. This phrase you wrote is coming up frequently for me.

Everyday, is a NEW day
Old 09-10-2018, 04:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you, so much for that. I need to remind myself to never stop fighting for sobriety.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you!! I feel I want to print this off and have it in my wallet. There are so many eloquent things you said that resonate. I particularly liked this one tonight: “the worse things seem to be...the greater the joy in store for us when we do break free”.