Codependency. Taking responsibility for everyone else.

Old 08-23-2018, 02:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Codependency. Taking responsibility for everyone else.

Was chatting to my therapist during the week about being codependent. I explained how as a young child, I lived in a home where my parents were constantly arguing, and I was quite sensitive to this. I would get up early, clean the house, bring them breakfast in bed and lots of other stuff, which I though would stop the fighting. I'm realising how much and for how long I've been taking on other people's feelings, problems and worries. I was looking after everyone else's needs but not my own! To this day I'm conscious if I walk into a room of other people's feelings/energies etc. When I think of it, wasn't that a lovely thing for a young guy to try to do to fix things, but also sad that I couldn't get the love I needed.

Is it any wonder I drew my most recent person and gave my everything to him again to try fix him, settling for crumbs of love from his table, when he had none to give either (completely codependent too).

I think I'm learning in this process, I need to start giving my younger self permission now to let go. Let go of the responsibility of trying to fix, heal, help everyone else. I'm not responsible for anyone only myself. It takes a lot of effort to just love and care for myself so trying to do anyone else is too much. I on my own am enough! The journey continues.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Really great discoveries, Glenjo.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SparkleKitty View Post
Really great discoveries, Glenjo.
Thanks, it's a process and all the understanding does help, all the while I still miss him.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

glenjo…..I know that you miss him. You will for some time....normal/natural/expected...…
I think that you will find that after you get over the "hump" of the one year anniversary of the horrible event....something significant happens....it begins to feel more like past history....something that happened in the past....It is like you remember that it happened, but the pain is not raw and immediate.....remembering the pain--but not feeling the pain.....
Sort of like remembering when you fell off the monkey bars, in grade school, and broke your arm.....you can remember that the pain was excruciating….but, you don't remember (experience) the actual pain.....
Old 08-23-2018, 07:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
glenjo…..I know that you miss him. You will for some time....normal/natural/expected...…
I think that you will find that after you get over the "hump" of the one year anniversary of the horrible event....something significant happens....it begins to feel more like past history....something that happened in the past....It is like you remember that it happened, but the pain is not raw and immediate.....remembering the pain--but not feeling the pain.....
Sort of like remembering when you fell off the monkey bars, in grade school, and broke your arm.....you can remember that the pain was excruciating….but, you don't remember (experience) the actual pain.....
That makes sense, I really look forward to that time. Untill that one year, I think I need to build up my self esteem. In coda, a group member said he knew of a few people who after YEARS were still not able to get past the initial trauma/pain because they had done nothing in that time to work on themselves. From what I've been reading, it was very normal to feel out of control when my friend came out of rehab and didn't NEED me for support any longer. He had learned to detach and use his supports but I had stayed the same. It brought up feelings of him leaving me and being alone, which he did anyway. So working on my own self love, self worth, childhood, controlling codependent issues are really all I can do in the meantime. (If I don't, it will be a missed opportunity to heal). Hopefully by that one year, with some expected mistakes/setbacks, anniversary I'll be much stronger.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Glenjo99 View Post
Thanks, it's a process and all the understanding does help, all the while I still miss him.
It's not surprising considering you were taking on his "feelings, problems and worries. I was looking after everyone else's needs but not my own!"

Even in healthier relationships that's a losing proposition. You take other people in to consideration, that's not a bad attribute, giving yourself equal consideration is the key. Being in a relationship with an addict, which by its very nature is self-centered, leaves you without support, not even your own.

You take on his feelings, you probably had hours of deep conversations? No doubt mostly about him. This is fixable! Then you can both live happily ever after. Thing is, he was coming from a place of - well, addiction. You don't even really know him sober, as in really sober, months away from being drugged. He may not even remember what he's like.

I completely get what you mean when you say you walk in to a room and pick up other people's energies/feelings. It all goes back to the same thing, the checking out the room to see what needs to be fixed. I've stopped doing it to some extent and while it honestly feels a bit odd, I'm also kind of enjoying it to be honest. Sometimes it feels like something is "missing", on the other hand, I don't know that it was very helpful to me (or to anyone else for that matter).
Old 08-23-2018, 08:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You are making great strides in your recovery Glen - really big stuff here.

Inner child stuff is the root of all my behaviors as well & while I've worked through quite a bit, I've recently uncovered a whole new, deep well of self-judgment & acrimony related to IC that I'm working through now. I'm like 7, almost 8, years into recovery now?

I couldn't have seen this stuff before - I wasn't "there", I hadn't yet taken the 526 steps that led me to the discovery & allowed me to fully see & embrace & heal it.

I've been saturating myself in Bruce Lipton's work because it dead-accurate to my experiences over my lifetime so far - when I change my fundamental programming, I change future results.

To this day I'm conscious if I walk into a room of other people's feelings/energies etc
And you might just naturally be that empathic, born into a situation that abused that quality in you. Empaths struggle in so-called-normal relationships/life without the added bonus of addiction.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
It's not surprising considering you were taking on his "feelings, problems and worries. I was looking after everyone else's needs but not my own!"

Even in healthier relationships that's a losing proposition. You take other people in to consideration, that's not a bad attribute, giving yourself equal consideration is the key. Being in a relationship with an addict, which by its very nature is self-centered, leaves you without support, not even your own.

You take on his feelings, you probably had hours of deep conversations? No doubt mostly about him. This is fixable! Then you can both live happily ever after. Thing is, he was coming from a place of - well, addiction. You don't even really know him sober, as in really sober, months away from being drugged. He may not even remember what he's like.

I completely get what you mean when you say you walk in to a room and pick up other people's energies/feelings. It all goes back to the same thing, the checking out the room to see what needs to be fixed. I've stopped doing it to some extent and while it honestly feels a bit odd, I'm also kind of enjoying it to be honest. Sometimes it feels like something is "missing", on the other hand, I don't know that it was very helpful to me (or to anyone else for that matter).
There were months, 5 approx during which he was sober, he would text and ring every day and we would have those deep conversations, yes mostly about him! I liked the him I knew then, although he could be different people in the same day, very up and down. I always knew he had a lot of issues, endearing I found, knowing what I do know, allowed me to feel Superior and not examine my life.

I too would like to get to that place where I stop checking out the room to see who needs to be fixed, or soak up others energies, could be a natural empathy too unsure. Maybe in healing myself from the inner child stuff I will be more loving of myself and conscious of "minding" myself in public situations. Sometimes I feel like a freak for this but at same time it has its advantages in being about to relate to others. Just not so much with addicts but I'll now be more aware in future with my new awareness of my codependent traits. This guy was brought into my life to show me this I'm convinced of this.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post

Inner child stuff is the root of all my behaviors as well & while I've worked through quite a bit, I've recently uncovered a whole new, deep well of self-judgment & acrimony related to IC that I'm working through now. I'm like 7, almost 8, years into recovery now?

I couldn't have seen this stuff before - I wasn't "there", I hadn't yet taken the 526 steps that led me to the discovery & allowed me to fully see & embrace & heal it.

I've been saturating myself in Bruce Lipton's work because it dead-accurate to my experiences over my lifetime so far - when I change my fundamental programming, I change future results.

And you might just naturally be that empathic, born into a situation that abused that quality in you. Empaths struggle in so-called-normal relationships/life without the added bonus of addiction.
Thanks firesprite, I have actually been told that I am naturally empathic, extremely sensitive to other people's energies in a room. It certainly does make life more challenging never mind relationships. I can see how addicts would "pick up" on people who are naturally like this, and codependent. I'd rather not have it tbh as it makes me so anxious but it does help in my work which requires a lot of empathy.

The inner child stuff really is at the core of most codependent behaviour and it is fascinating when it's revealed. You are 7/8 years into recovery, that's amazing! I too have been shaming and judging myself for so many years that's it's going to take a long time to heal but just being aware of it is a good start.

I admire you for doing the work for so many years. Hopefully I will be able to stay the course.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

glenjo…..that comment by your coda member reminds me of a song that is before your time...but, was wildly popular, at one time.....

https://www.bing.com/search?q=youtub...&setlang=en-US
Old 08-23-2018, 11:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=dandylion;6992537]glenjo…..that comment by your coda member reminds me of a song that is before your time...but, was wildly popular, at one time.....

https://www.bing.com/search?q=youtub...&setlang=en-US[/QUO

yeh I've heard it alright. Dear God, don't let me be walking the streets looking for him in a few years lol.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

glenjo….I just posted the link.....you can just click on the link.....

The name of the song is "Delta Dawn"....by Tanya Tucker....you can hear it on youtube if the link doesn't work.....
Old 08-23-2018, 12:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Glenjo, you are making progress! When we become self-aware of our actions that have hurt and impeded our own growth in the past, we can move forward! I still struggle with codependency issues as my AD daughter and AD granddaughter use granddaughter's kids as a manipulative tool, which chaps my hide, honestly. We are talking a two year old great granddaughter, and a 5 week old great granddaughter. How do you let the kids go without? It's a balancing act for sure.

I'm glad you recognize mistakes will be made along the way in your recovery. We will never be perfect. Sending you warm hugs of support from Kansas!
Old 08-23-2018, 12:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Freedom1990 View Post
Glenjo, you are making progress! When we become self-aware of our actions that have hurt and impeded our own growth in the past, we can move forward! I still struggle with codependency issues as my AD daughter and AD granddaughter use granddaughter's kids as a manipulative tool, which chaps my hide, honestly. We are talking a two year old great granddaughter, and a 5 week old great granddaughter. How do you let the kids go without? It's a balancing act for sure.

I'm glad you recognize mistakes will be made along the way in your recovery. We will never be perfect. Sending you warm hugs of support from Kansas!
Thanks Freedom. We will never be perfect for sure. This is probably the first time in my life I've tried not to numb out the pain with anything and see what it has to teach me. Hard going but will be worth it in the end I hope. Your situation sounds delicate it's never easy especially when children are involved! Thanks for support and right back at you!
Old 08-26-2018, 12:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Glenjo, you are doing amazing. For me the inner child work was absolutely crucial for my healing to go to the next level. We so often abandon that inner child and she/he just wants to be heard, loved, seen, held, etc. When I am triggered I will often stop and ask what my inner child is needing from me and I'll give it to her. Even if it's just to sit and love her and let her know I hear her. I always let her know I will never leave her again.

And when sadness or loneliness come knocking on that door, I let them in and sit with them. All of our feelings are ok and we need to acknowledge them and be gentle on ourselves. And stop the old recording in our head and the limiting beliefs we put on ourselves from when we were young.

I too am an empath and one thing I do before entering a room or a situation with someone I know has a dark, hard energy is I say to them (in my head) "I feel you, but I don't receive you and I send you healing love". I also have worked hard on not allowing their energy to drag me down to where they are, but keep my vibration high and allow them to rise to where I am. It's very easy to get dragged down energy-wise, just be aware of it and keep your vibrational energy high.

Always know you are worth far more than crumbs of love and accept no less for yourself. You are amazing and new love, brought in by your new level of energy that matches it, will come to you. Just keep healing and doing the work. It's worth it. I promise.
Old 08-26-2018, 12:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FindingAmy View Post
Glenjo, you are doing amazing. For me the inner child work was absolutely crucial for my healing to go to the next level. We so often abandon that inner child and she/he just wants to be heard, loved, seen, held, etc. When I am triggered I will often stop and ask what my inner child is needing from me and I'll give it to her. Even if it's just to sit and love her and let her know I hear her. I always let her know I will never leave her again.

And when sadness or loneliness come knocking on that door, I let them in and sit with them. All of our feelings are ok and we need to acknowledge them and be gentle on ourselves. And stop the old recording in our head and the limiting beliefs we put on ourselves from when we were young.

I too am an empath and one thing I do before entering a room or a situation with someone I know has a dark, hard energy is I say to them (in my head) "I feel you, but I don't receive you and I send you healing love". I also have worked hard on not allowing their energy to drag me down to where they are, but keep my vibration high and allow them to rise to where I am. It's very easy to get dragged down energy-wise, just be aware of it and keep your vibrational energy high.

Always know you are worth far more than crumbs of love and accept no less for yourself. You are amazing and new love, brought in by your new level of energy that matches it, will come to you. Just keep healing and doing the work. It's worth it. I promise.
Thank you findingamy! The inner child revelation has really awakened in me now, and asking my inner child what he needs during those moments I'm feeling triggered is something I'm going to try as well as that saying before entering the room. Yes I can easily be dragged down energy wise so at the moment I find I'm not as social or with people as much, I feel I need this to build myself up, just have to watch becoming too isolated.

I look forward to that new love coming to meet my new level of energy when the time is right. I trust in the universe to guide me in the right direction. Each morning I ask it, where would you have me go, what would you have me do, what would you have me say and to whom. (From course in miracles). It helps strengthen my spiritual side and helps me surrender the situation.
Old 08-26-2018, 03:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post

Thanks for this thread Glen and thank you Amy for introducing me to Bruce Lipton!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w6ijrlZE7E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCG1zj3mxOw