Notices

Hello, new user.

Old 08-19-2018, 12:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello, new user.

I felt compelled to join and share my recent experience, although very sad that it is.

My Uncle at age 61 has died within the past week, a very lonely death despite his family all being close by and keeping in touch.

He's left 3 daughters, all below age 30. He was found slumped on the toilet seat shirtless , and his house littered with empty spirit bottles.

The autopsy is yet to happen, so the exact cause of death is unknown.

A very sad end to a man who was intelligent, always had international engineering jobs around the world, had a lot to live for and surrounded by people who loved him and cared for him.

Perhaps the family did not do enough, did not spend as much time with him as we could have done to have helped him.

He was very much an individual, and one could say a pig-headed stubborn man, but his heart was good, and when he was able, he cared much for his elderly parents who passed away before he died.

I guess the point of me posting is not to garner any sympathy, just to give you a story of how an intelligent man can find himself lost and befuddled by alcohol, and how it has now made many people sad by his lonely passing.

Thanks for reading.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My family is afraid I'll drink myself to death, I'm 65, my father drank himself to death but he was 82, my daughter was with me when I went to check on him, he was laying on the floor with a case of vodka half empty, he died in the hospital later that day, a horrible way for my daughter to see her grandfather and she's seen me pretty bad a few times, befuddled and lost is how I am, can't seem to wise up even though it's cost me my wife, my son won't hardly have anything to do with me, I'm luck I still have a job. Guess I'm rambling on, Enjoyed your post, there but for luck could be me.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's a sad fact that alcohol destroys many lives, and not just those who are addicted to it.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Very sorry for your loss

Definitely one of the great tragedies of addiction is how even the most intelligent of individuals will drag themselves further and further into the pit, even against their own better judgment
Old 08-19-2018, 03:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your loss.

Alcoholism affects people on all socio-economic and educational levels.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome to you. I am so very sorry for your loss, your uncle sounds like a fine man. Unfortunately alcoholism can take anyone, no matter their redeeming qualities. You mentioned that possibly you and your family could have done more, but you need to know that with alcoholism it doesn't work that way. All the help and support in the world is of little good if the person does not choose to quit. Please do not spend this time beating yourself up about what you did or did not to, rather reflect on good memories.

Thank you for your post, it is a good reminder to all of us.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

prayers
My sam. all quite smart...all the males (including me) are alcie's- several deaths because of.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your loss Camabanpompey11.

If you need support, this is a great place to find it

D