Notices

My story...with an unknown ending.

Old 07-29-2018, 07:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My story...with an unknown ending.

I've been dealing with my alcoholic mother since I was a child, around 9 years old if I'm not mistaken. I'm 20 at the moment, about to turn 21 in a couple of months. My maternal grandfather was one as well, no surprise at all. She never got any help for it, this is the outcome.

To this day, my mother's alcoholism is a dark secret. Friends, family...Nobody knows it, only a few. It's a secret kept between my father, my brother and me. It has completely devastaded each one of us, our household is miserable, we barely talk to each other or do things together.

I was successful in school, got good grades and praised by my teachers. On the inside though? Misery, sadness, loneliness. Only had 3 friends, never talked about my situation to them nor anyone else.
I'm finishing college and still feel the same way, my mother stays the same 10 years later: coming home late...and drunk, arguing with my father...nothing has changed, I just got older.

Why I'm here? I simple wanted to find that tiny little space where I can vent on and sharing my experience with those who went through the same thing, as I've never had any kind of support at all, I was an isolated child. Alcoholism and addiction is sometime very few people comprehend. It's a terrible thing, it really is.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome, Valentinus.
and sorry for what brings you here, and yes, a perfect place to find some support, others who can relate,andlots of room to vent and find solutions for yourself.

please also look farther down the forum list and check out the "Friends and Families" sections.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Aw honey I'm so sorry. Glad you're here. You're not alone.

I'm the adult child of an alcoholic and a recovering alcoholic myself. And I have a 17 year old daughter. Soooo, I think I can relate. I can't post much now but I wanted to welcome you and I'll post a bit more tomorrow.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for what brings you here Valentinus but yeah - this is a good place to vent, and to find support

Welcome
D
Old 07-29-2018, 09:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope we can help you find some peace of mind.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Valentinus I am so sorry for the troubles and unhappiness you have been through. You seem a very mature and controlled person despite it all. I am wishing you happiness.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you so much all of you for your kind words and welcoming, I truly appreciate it. I hope I find at least a spackle of light at the end of the tunnel.