Notices

No one cared

Old 07-28-2018, 06:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

No one cared

Today I went to my cousin’s girlfriend’s birthday party at their house. I remember posting here when I first got the invite to this party, because it came just days after my final decision to be done with the drinking and it was the first drinking event staring me right in the face. I went up and down several times in my mind with going today. I like this girl a lot. She (and the best friend I always talk about) were the 2 girls at both of my sides at my big birthday dinner earlier this year. So I of course wanted to be there for her too. This girl is great, I think she’s good for my cousin, but at the same time it’s my family, so I’m not the one who needs to be doing the impressing. So I’m not even sure why I was worried about going vs. not going. I just didn’t feel up to either the explanations, or the fake drinking (so much more exhausting than just downing liquor). I was dreading all of that. So I was thisclose to not going. But I went, and I’m glad I did. I got to see some acquaintances through my family I hadn’t seen in awhile, met some awesome new people, and ate a really freakin’ good burger straight off the grill. The best part? NO ONE CARED! No one asked what I was drinking or not drinking, no one made sure I was or wasn’t chugging booze, no one policed me. No. One. Cared.

It was all in my mind. All in my alcoholic mind that I needed to either drink 15 shots, or explain to everyone who even looked at me why I was not drinking alongside them. No one actually cared. It was the most refreshing and positive feeling in the world.

The beer pong, the shots of cheap whiskey out of Dixie cups (barf), the dude scrounging in my cousin’s freezer for vodka because someone drank his Grey Goose....none of it even fazed me. If anything, I felt bad for all of them because they’re going to feel like crap tomorrow, and I won’t
Old 07-28-2018, 07:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you! Glad to hear you went and stayed sober. A big step for you. Yeah.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

well done rayna
support to you
Old 07-29-2018, 05:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah nobody cares about anyone else really in terms of them not drinking. Only other active alkies who avoid them like the plague. I know I did. Just like nobody really cares about somebody else identifying themselves as an alcoholic. People only care about an irritating active drunk. Fear is very much all in ones mind and not based on the reality of the situation.
Old 07-29-2018, 05:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great post and well done.

Keep it going!
Old 07-29-2018, 07:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I always forget that nobody really cares about our drinking, except us! It such a good point to reflect on.

Sounds like you are doing an awesome job! xx
Old 07-29-2018, 07:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Yeah, I had that same delusion. Everyone is watching what I drink.
One of many lies my AV told me.

Glad you went and had a good time!
Old 07-29-2018, 07:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Just think back...when we were drinking did we even care what anyone else was doing? The only thing I ever cared about was not running out of beer or wine. I was too busy keeping my buzz and sneaking down extra drinks to even notice anyone elses business.
Glad you had a good time!
Old 07-29-2018, 03:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds great Rayna

D
Old 07-29-2018, 03:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well done!
Old 07-29-2018, 04:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great post!

My last drink was Monday evening and things were going pretty well by the end of the week but I was really dreading the weekend, what would I do, how would I cope, what would everyone say, how would I explain.. (insert chicken little here)

Yeah.. No-one cared but me.

Amazing how much you can see with just a tiny bit of light.
Old 07-29-2018, 05:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Rayna,

This is a great post. I find myself “knowing” that no one cares yet still worrying about what I’m going to do or say in the moment. But the moment doesn’t come! It’s good to be reminded that no one cares!!