Notices

Hello!

Old 07-25-2018, 04:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello!

Hi, not really sure what to say, thought I’d browse and see...well I don’t quite know!

Hope everyone is doing well.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Rob and welcome! It took me a while too before knowing what to post when I arrived on this site.

I hope you're well too!
Old 07-25-2018, 04:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi kev,

I’m doing good today. Have a few questions to ask but think I may be best posting a new thread.

Have been sober 6 weeks tomorrow, managed 5 months prior to this before I relapsed resulting in me losing my wife, home and job.

Seem to be getting back to myself again but I keep having flashbacks all the time, they seem to hit me at the most random times and totally paralyse me for a minute or two. Ever known this or experienced it yourself?
Old 07-25-2018, 05:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am familiar with flashbacks. I had them for a few years after a traumatising event about 10 years ago. If you have the chance, maybe talk to a doctor or therapist about it?

6 weeks is really great, well done on that!
Old 07-25-2018, 05:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thankyou 👍🏻 I always find that for some reason I always never quite reveal everything when I go to therapy, I think now I know why I’ve come onto the forum, I have a feeling I might find it easier to talk here.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ah, flashbacks. Yes, you’re not alone... flashbacks have been a sinister part of my life as well.

It’s tough to reveal everything in therapy, there’s so many factors at play: time limit, digressing, losing train of thought, forgetting, climate, and overall relationship with the therapist.

Lately, I’ve had disturbing flashbacks involving my drug and alcohol use. For me, abusing substances was such a pattern, and I just kept getting messed up to avoid confronting what I did the day before. And it piled up over years. In the process of thinking about and finally working towards getting sober recently, I’ve had to face all these years of piled up feelings and memories that I repressed for so long. It’s tough stuff. I keep trying to tell myself each day sober is another day that won’t go into my “flashback” file, and that’s how I get through it.

I hope you’re able to find some peace with your memories & flashbacks.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Rob! Well done on your 6 wks. sober.

I was bothered by flashbacks too. I drank 30 years, so I had many disturbing & regretful memories. Sometimes they threatened my sobriety. Fortunately, as we grow stronger & heal, they begin to fade in importance. It's today that counts. The new, sober me doesn't do those things any more. Please do feel free to talk about what bothers you. We all understand, having been through it.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support and wisdom here.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had lots of flashbacks. Scary things and close calls I had simply blocked from my mind when I was drinking. I did not divulge everything to my therapist, sometimes just because I forgot since so many other things came up in sessions. There are a couple things I have not told a single person. Not even my husband of 23 years. I’m a little embarrassed to say that but it’s true. Though I could have, I have never hurt anybody as a result of drinking (other than emotionally) . The things I haven’t shared are mainly just really stupid things I would have never done sober. I feel it’s ok for all of us to chose what details we want to share and what not to share as long as we are all accountable to ourselves and whatever our higher power is (whatever that might be for each), and that we are moving forward and learning from past mistakes. But if something you did keeps haunting you, it probably would be good to talk to a therapist about it. I also had bad relapse dreams which was super scary. Both the flashbacks and dreams have faded with time. I have been told by some 30 years sober, they still happen occasionally. I look at the, as reminders to stay on track. Good luck!
Old 07-25-2018, 08:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thankyou so much everyone, reading these posts is really helpful - i appreciate you all taking the time to reply to me 😊 Hopefully these flashbacks will decrease over time, I keep telling myself that ‘what’s done is done’ but it just doesn’t get any better. It’s only things I’ve done to my friends and family though, I can live with everything else, just about.

It’s almost 4am here in Liverpool, uk, I’d better be getting some sleep. Im glad I found this place, I will pop back in tomorrow. Have a good day/afternoon/evening everyone, wherever you are 👍🏻
Old 07-26-2018, 02:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Let us know how it's going for you, Rob. We care.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Rob you sound to be in similar situation to me.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Rob, I have flashbacks too, though not often anymore. And, they are triggered by a song or a person, and they come out of the blue. Congratulations on your recovery. I think you will find that the flashbacks will lessen and you will begin to feel good about yourself.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Rob82201

D