Notices

Going off sleeping pills

Old 07-25-2018, 06:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going off sleeping pills

I’m just over 1-1/2 years sober. Toward the end of last year, I experienced a lot of anxiety and sleepless nights over life circumstances that I couldn’t control. I didn’t pick up alcohol again. But I did start back up on sleeping pills and have continued without a break. I feel that this should no longer be necessary and I’m using it as a crutch. As I’m now working harder on my emotional sobriety this year, I feel it’s time to taper off. So I’m starting tonight. I’m going to get a massage an hour before my bedtime, have some sleepy tea and meditate. I expect the first few nights will still be rough. I’ve done this once before, and that was at the same time I was quitting alcohol. So I know I can do this. Thanks for listening.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

That sounds like a good plan. It's often the case that sleeping pills become less effective when used long-term, so stopping is probably a good idea. I hope it goes well for you.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I was taking 3 mg of lunesta nightly for several years. There was an insurance screw up and my scrip was denied. Threw me into a tailspin that ended up in medical detox and rehab. Got me sober so the story has a happy ending.

Z drugs like lunesta and Ambien are supposedly non addictive...which was definitely not my experience. Definitely a SLOW taper is required. Not sure what you are taking, but stopping sleeping pills can be a big deal for an alcoholic in recovery. Never a bad idea to consult with your doctor on this.

Keep us posted.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My psych started me on two sleep meds when I stopped drinking 29 mo ago. I took them every night, minus a handful. 10 or 11 days ago, a week ago last Sun I think, I tapered for three of four nights and stopped them last Fri. That is pretty fast and it would likely be easier if I had extended it as for the past five nights, three of those have meant only one or two straight hours sleep, and the other two I gratefully got 4-5 straight.

I did it this fast because for the past six or ,ore months I have had incredible night sweats which meant changing shirts up to six times, exhausting all dry spots on pillow and sheet where torso lies, top of comforter where I clutch it from lifelong habit...among lab tests and ruling out anything major, other than very low sodium because of te huge amounts of water I drink and e extreme nightly water loss, one thing my drs said it is ok to change all meds to AM and it was ok to reduce or cut off sleep pills. I am telling you all this because sleep is such a big issue and I was desperately worried about what was or is wrong with me.

Now it seems I am going through very little sleep but without the sweating, which honestly is infinitely better. I also changed a few other things that people suggested to deal with my Nocturnal Hyperhydrosis, which might help anyone with sleep issues. Not keeping the TV on like we were doing, getting special sheets with a cooling fabric combo, not eating so close to bed, not napping or not for long during the day, and the like.

My body has going through a lot with a back injury on top of all this so I am working out a lot of things but the sleep is at the forefront of addressing . Hope you have a smooth process and get on a normal routine.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have been tapering off of 50mg of seroquel nightly for the last 6 months. Yep, you heard that right. I'm down to 12mg. To people that know seroquel that is a ludicrously small amount but I don't sleep without it. . Oh I should mention, I do go without it now a couple of times a week. So I'm getting there, albeit slowly.

Sleep meds are evil. I wish I had never started. But I'm pretty sure I'll be done by the end of August. That's the plan.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm going though a phase of insomnia at the moment so I'm feeling with you! I hope you'll get some sleep and am sending you lots of calm and strenght
Old 07-25-2018, 12:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm a chronic insomniac and my doctor recently suggested cbti, meaning Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Insomnia. I'm really impressed with the information online. If you google it, you will find some good online programs that are free, and some programs that you can pay for and get professional support.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the comments! I didn’t realize that there were so many others dealing with sleep issues and sleep medication! Makes me feel better that I’m not alone. These are good suggestions. I did talk to my doctor and she agreed with the taper approach so I am starting a plan. As I taper, I’m going to start some Melatonin. I’m looking into the CBT as well as acupuncture. I’m off to dreamland (hopefully) in a few hours No huge expectations first few nights though. I’ll take what I can get.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
My psych started me on two sleep meds when I stopped drinking 29 mo ago. I took them every night, minus a handful. 10 or 11 days ago, a week ago last Sun I think, I tapered for three of four nights and stopped them last Fri. That is pretty fast and it would likely be easier if I had extended it as for the past five nights, three of those have meant only one or two straight hours sleep, and the other two I gratefully got 4-5 straight.

I did it this fast because for the past six or ,ore months I have had incredible night sweats which meant changing shirts up to six times, exhausting all dry spots on pillow and sheet where torso lies, top of comforter where I clutch it from lifelong habit...among lab tests and ruling out anything major, other than very low sodium because of te huge amounts of water I drink and e extreme nightly water loss, one thing my drs said it is ok to change all meds to AM and it was ok to reduce or cut off sleep pills. I am telling you all this because sleep is such a big issue and I was desperately worried about what was or is wrong with me.

Now it seems I am going through very little sleep but without the sweating, which honestly is infinitely better. I also changed a few other things that people suggested to deal with my Nocturnal Hyperhydrosis, which might help anyone with sleep issues. Not keeping the TV on like we were doing, getting special sheets with a cooling fabric combo, not eating so close to bed, not napping or not for long during the day, and the like.

My body has going through a lot with a back injury on top of all this so I am working out a lot of things but the sleep is at the forefront of addressing . Hope you have a smooth process and get on a normal routine.

Hi August. That is a lot to deal with. Thank you for sharing this. Sleep is a huge issue for me too. I am a wreck when I am deprived of it! I am having night sweats too. Not sure the cause of yours. But mine is due to menopause, which doesn’t help with insomnia either. . That’s a subject for a different forum. Crazy! Lol. I am going to turn off the tube an hour before bed and not read on my iPad. I need a real old fashioned book! The special sheets sound like a cool idea too. I’m sorry you are dealing with a back Injury and hope it gets better soon!