Notices

Dry drunk?

Old 07-23-2018, 12:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dry drunk?

Everyone mentions dry drunk, I know what it is, but is it really a true phenomenon?I know a lot of people who have quit drinking on their own , they seem happy, to me it does not matter how you quit as long as your life changes what's it really matter.Why do alcoholic people get classified as angry and rageful , where does that come from?
Old 07-23-2018, 12:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

https://www.soberrecovery.com/addict...s-a-dry-drunk/

Hope that helps!
Old 07-23-2018, 12:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

To me a "dry drunk" is someone bitter/resentful of other's drinking habits. Like a child throwing a "why me/can't I!?!?" tantrum and also displaying the same actions they did when actively drinking. I've noticed "white knuckling" can lead people to the same. Recovery is more than just not drinking/drugging.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Plenty of people I know in life exhibit the same tendencies and have no issue with alcohol.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I don't know that "everyone" uses the term, but it is fairly common. I think it's important to remember that it's only a term though, not a diagnosis. It's worth stating that some dislike the term and consider it offensive as well.

I think the overall idea is that it's a person who exhibits all of the same addictive qualities that they did when they were drinking, simply without actually consuming alcohol.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Maybe the alcoholic as a perfectionist , from what I have been reading , expects other alcoholics to conform to the same set of rules which sobered them up , such as 12 steps, whereas some might not be able to adhere to something like that and the term got made. I don't know I am trying to quit and I came across dry drunk it kind of confused me. Thanks to all that replied
Old 07-23-2018, 03:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

A dry drunk is AF through force of will they are not content. "Sobriety" is being comfortable and content not drinking, alcohol doesn't matter to them. Most people will have a degree of dry drunk. The objective of AA steps Smart Recovery etc is to move into Sobriety.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by bunchie View Post
Why do alcoholic people get classified as angry and rageful , where does that come from?
as a senior in high school my life was DEATH AND BLACKNESS! F me F you rage hate anger ...

and i hadnt even drank yet

i am the problem - the drinking was but a symptom

my father said i was born angry and that just pissed me off

Old 07-24-2018, 05:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
totfit

It is a way for people to explain human faults when they can't do so otherwise. It is a convenient "reason" to explain the way some people behave. It is a way to elevate oneself above someone that used to have a problem with alcohol. It is in my humble opinion BS.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Scott hit the nail on the head. A dry drunk is someone who has just stopped drinking but has not made any other changes in their lives and still operates using addictive thinking patterns and behaviours.