Notices

44 days Sober

Old 07-22-2018, 02:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

44 days Sober

Hello,

I feel like my life has just really begun. This is the first time of my many attempts at sobriety that I can truly say I am finally on the road I want to be on. I’ve dreamed of the time where alcohol no longer dictated how I lived my life. It’s been 20 yrs of feeling prisoner of this habit. I, like many other stories I’ve read online, are addicted to the feelings of “happiness” that alcoholics think they experience, to wake up the next day with regret and the emptiness that came with it. I look forward to a life freed from this. I haven’t felt the desire to drink nor take part of anything that involves drinking. This is my very post and I can’t wait to write many more throughout my experience.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to have you with us, DeeLiz. I felt just as you do when I first found SR. I'd been drinking 30 yrs.

My problem was that it had once been fun & relaxing - & I really wanted that again. I had many enjoyable experiences, before I became dependent on it. I was always searching for that long-ago euphoria, and it was never coming back. I had crossed the line into alcoholic drinking & could never drink socially again. I wish it hadn't taken me so long to realize and admit that. I lost so much by trying to moderate, & insisting I could use willpower to just have a few now and then.

I'm happy you are reclaiming your life - 44 days is wonderful. We're happy to have you here.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family and congrats on 44 days sober! Keep going, it gets better.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
It's great to have you with us, DeeLiz. I felt just as you do when I first found SR. I'd been drinking 30 yrs.

My problem was that it had once been fun & relaxing - & I really wanted that again. I had many enjoyable experiences, before I became dependent on it. I was always searching for that long-ago euphoria, and it was never coming back. I had crossed the line into alcoholic drinking & could never drink socially again. I wish it hadn't taken me so long to realize and admit that. I lost so much by trying to moderate, & insisting I could use willpower to just have a few now and then.

I'm happy you are reclaiming your life - 44 days is wonderful. We're happy to have you here.
Thank you, it’s been on my mind for many years. My drinking got worse when I was active duty Army, I had many excuses to drink. I now know that it was all “excuses” and that I need to change my ways. Alcohol is a very bad “fix” to the many situations within. I am happy to have found this website filled with positive vibes. I am truly lucky to be here and be able to get support.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Welcome to the family and congrats on 44 days sober! Keep going, it gets better.
Thank you. I will keep going, I love to wake up and be able to have my first cup of coffee while I read my books. I have found that books help me put things into perspective. I am currently reading “Almost Alcoholic” by Robert Doyle, a great read.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We're so glad you found us. Thank you for serving in the Army.

It really helped me to no longer feel alone. People in my life just didn't understand - they were all social drinkers. Here, we can freely discuss it without being judged or criticized.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on 44 days sober!! Wishing you strength and lots of happiness.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It really helped me to no longer feel alone. People in my life just didn't understand - they were all social drinkers. Here, we can freely discuss it without being judged or criticized.
I agree. I told my siblings last week for the first time that I no longer drink via a group text, they were inviting me to go home for the weekend to NYC and celebrate one of my nieces birthday. I kindly replied with “I will go but I am no longer drinking and so please refrain from offering me drinks”... their response was to “laugh out loud” and mock my request. It is odd to even write it as I know that drinking in our family is more on the “normal” thing to do, my requesting to allow myself to make a sober call is just out of this world for most of the people in my circle. This will not deter me from achieving success in this rollercoaster of soberness, I welcome the challenge. I decided not to go to NY as I think that it’s too early for the face to face “fight” with
My loved ones.. I rather use the flight for now lol.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It is truly an honor to serve my country.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by traumaqueen7 View Post
Congrats on 44 days sober!! Wishing you strength and lots of happiness.
Thank you, I woke up one day and didn’t like what I saw in the mirror. I am normally a good and happy person and all the time I thought that alcohol was part of that side of me. Now, I know that being sober makes me truly happy and the feeling is just to good to not have.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome and congrats on 44 days!!
Old 08-04-2018, 04:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Atlast9999 View Post
Welcome and congrats on 44 days!!
Thank you! This is Day 57
I went to NYC on Thursday and for the first time in years, I was able to be at a rooftop bar in the city and not have the urge to drink. I did not even think of it. I was there purely to see the breathtaking views of the city. I am so proud of myself. I pray every Day that I continue. I take it Day by day.
Old 08-04-2018, 04:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Beautifully Broken

Congrats on a huge feat! Keep living life fully present.
Thank you for your service!
Old 08-04-2018, 04:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's not nice of your family to mock you for not drinking. You'll find lots of support here, we understand.
Old 08-04-2018, 04:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jam13 View Post
Congrats on a huge feat! Keep living life fully present.
Thank you for your service!
Thank you so much
Old 08-04-2018, 04:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DeeLiz View Post
Thank you! This is Day 57
I went to NYC on Thursday and for the first time in years, I was able to be at a rooftop bar in the city and not have the urge to drink. I did not even think of it. I was there purely to see the breathtaking views of the city. I am so proud of myself. I pray every Day that I continue. I take it Day by day.
Fantastic DeeLiz!! I’m right behind you at 52 days. Isn’t it great to be sober and in control?? I’m glad you made it to NYC and had a great time!
Old 08-04-2018, 05:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome DeeLiz

D