Notices

I had my first alcohol challenge today

Old 07-21-2018, 10:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I had my first alcohol challenge today

My brother has just moved to the area. I haven't seen him in a year since he moved away.

First thing he hands me when he walks in is a 4 pack of beers. He knows I liked a beer. I paused for a split second. Then I handed them back and explained I've been alcohol free for over 2 months and I no longer drink.

He understood and said he would take them back with him. While we was outside in the garden he cracked open one of the cans. The beers were within arms reach and my brother wouldn't have been bothered if I opened one. I felt a little uncomfortable but there was no doubt, or temptation, in my mind.

I said out loud without any fear "This is the first time I've been around alcohol since I quit". Nobody seemed to notice. I wanted someone to ask me how I was doing, or to notice that I am no longer an alcoholic. Nobody did. But inside I was bursting with joy that I overcame a large hurdle.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
J50

Congrats! The tests are good to let us know that being uncomfortable won't kill us, and it helps us to gain confidence the more times we say "no".

As far as no one saying anything, I think it just shows that most people don't care if we drink or not (and I don't mean that in a negative way).
Old 07-21-2018, 10:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That took a ton of guts, especially with a family member. Congratulations!!
Old 07-21-2018, 11:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Super dooper. Youre doing really well. X
Old 07-21-2018, 11:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nice one!
That was a sweet moment for you.
They may not get it but we on SR do.
Keep ticking of the challenges. Steady as you go
Old 07-21-2018, 11:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by J50 View Post
Congrats! The tests are good to let us know that being uncomfortable won't kill us, and it helps us to gain confidence the more times we say "no".

As far as no one saying anything, I think it just shows that most people don't care if we drink or not (and I don't mean that in a negative way).
I think you're right. Nobody in my family says anything when I mention it. Which is strange because they've all seen me drink excessively since I was a teen. I forget that most people in my family don't see drink how I do.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
J50

Originally Posted by 16YearsDrunk View Post
I think you're right. Nobody in my family says anything when I mention it. Which is strange because they've all seen me drink excessively since I was a teen. I forget that most people in my family don't see drink how I do.
The reality is that no one knows the battle within when it comes to alcohol, unless they personally have gone through it. We understand here, however, and you have every right to be proud of yourself! Keep it up.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations especially since it was (literally) thrust upon you. I haven't had my challenge yet l've been avoiding it.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You should be very proud of yourself! It’s a lot easier for me to walk past wine and beer at a grocery store without being tempted than someone offering it right to me in a social setting. That’s a bit more tempting
Old 07-21-2018, 01:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Rar

Great job 16Years........
Old 07-21-2018, 01:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well done you
You should be so proud of yourself for that xxx
Old 07-21-2018, 01:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Glad that went okay for you.

Next hurdle is likely to be a little voice in your head that says "hmmm, if you could do that, maybe you don't really HAVE a problem with alcohol." Darned AV can try and twist anything round with its lies and bullpoop. If it does, then just laugh at its ridiculous notions. If that proves tough post it on the forum and let our fellow members do it for you.

Keep going.

BB
Old 07-21-2018, 06:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad it went well 16, and savour that joy - you may find external validation is a little sparse, but internal validation can be just as gratifying

D
Old 07-21-2018, 11:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well executed, 16 years!

I want to relate something that I think is relevant. Folks who don't have a drinking problem may not understand how much a big deal it is to us to resist temptation.

I was at my sister's having dinner last night with a couple of their friends. Everyone drank but I. My brother-in-law, with whom I get along, knows I have not touched booze for 2+ years and yet offered me wine when offering everyone else. He was not being mean or inconsiderate. His view is that he was being a good host and I am free to say no and he will never push me if I say no.

This disease does force us to rely on ourselves in so many ways. That's not a bad thing.

You did really well though. All of us here know that and get it.