Notices

Where is the light at the end of the tunnel

Old 07-19-2018, 01:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Where is the light at the end of the tunnel

I have been thinking when does an alcoholic start feeling better about himself in the path to recovery?
Old 07-19-2018, 02:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

As soon as I decided to.

I got tired of waiting for 'feel better' to sneak up my pants leg and bite me on the tukus, so I went out looking for it.

What makes you feel better?
Go do that.

Best of Luck on Your Journey.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Things really started to change for me at 13 months. I almost have 18 months and I’m finally figuring out how to be sober. I hadn’t been sober for more than 20 years so I supposed that isn’t really that much time to adjust in the grand scheme of things.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I guess we keep fighting every day
Getting stronger and stronger
And as life finally gets better
We just keep living !!!
Old 07-19-2018, 02:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

It took me awhile to start to feel good about myself. I had a lot of guilt and shame to deal with. But, have faith, it will happen.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I never set out to get and remain sober until I finally succeeded. I had sober periods, but it was never going to be for good.

This last time was different. My life was clearly unmanageable and alcohol played a large role in this.

I was very ill when I went through detox. I'd say I started to feel good about myself about 2 weeks in, and by the time I'd left inpatient rehab with 5 weeks sober I'd decided that it was to be for good. I felt really good then.

I then fell off the pink cloud, but knew that I was headed in the right direction. It's a bit of a roller coaster, particularly in the first year.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
quat

Like Non said , you can right when you decide to. Why not , really.

The only thing that wants to drag me down and make me feel bad (?!) about quitting , about any aspect of freeing myself from the self imposed shackles of addiction is the addiction itself trying to hang around and stay alive , screw that, yeah?

Give yourself permission to , right now, to appreciate and enjoy the freedom you have given back to yourself.

Look around see what people do and do that ! Or even just look at what you do now and relish the freedom of doing just that but no longer with the chains of addiction dragging you around.

If it all feels a little overwhelming at first , just breath, you got this, congratulations!
Old 07-19-2018, 02:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You have to forgive yourself! Realize your only human. Humans make mistakes. You deserve a 2nd chance like anyone else!!
Old 07-19-2018, 03:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

It took me a lttle time - to stretch your analogy, I'd been waking into the tunnel for many years - it was always going to take a little time to get out the other end and feel the sun on my face again...

but I did - and it didn't take near as long as it did walking in

Keep walking forward Bunchie

D
Old 07-19-2018, 07:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Things started to change for me when I learned that recovery is more than just 'not drinking.' When I began to accept responsibility for the choices that brought me to that place of desperation and despair, and decided to think and act differently today, slowly but surely my circumstances and my self perception began to change for the better.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't see it as the path 'to' recovery, but as the path 'of' recovery. The journey itself is important.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Bunchie - I agree with what others have said. Taking it to the most basic level I would say that, for me, being hangover free was a great start to getting to feel better about myself. My worst hangovers and what I had to deal with at the time got imprinted in my brain. Now I actually feel good about myself when I do most things, simply being actively aware and grateful that I am doing it hangover free.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by bunchie View Post
I have been thinking when does an alcoholic start feeling better about himself in the path to recovery?
The light at the end of the tunnel is many years behind me. It's great in the light. In fact your choice of thread title put me in mind of one of Bill's descriptions of his Power greater than himself. He called it " The Father of Light that presides over us all."

When did I get into the light? When I had got through the step work, as in doing all my inventories, sharing my wrongs with another human being, making nearly all my amends (One I did not manage until I was 32 years sober), continuing to take inventory, live the AA 24 hout plan in step eleven, and work with other alcoholics.

Stepping into the light took about two months. Realising it had happened took another month. From that point on I have always had a strong conviction, deep inside, that I am on the right track, a convition that was totally missing in my drinking days.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It took me some time to 'wrap' my head around my new reality and right some wrongs. Us "addicts" like instant gratification in all things 'life'. That's not the case with mental sobriety. There may be some issues you'll need to deal with to be at piece and happy with yourself. Only you can decide that. Basically, I had to own my crap,work through it to fix it and then move on from it, knowing I'll never do it again.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Time, working the steps, a LOT of self care including medical help after I quit drinking .... around 6 mo and 8 mo were good upticks, and the peaks and valleys gradually evened out. The longer I am sober ( I have 29 mo tomorrow, JFT) the more I am able to live in acceptance rather than regret or rehashing, and find peace and contentment.