Notices

First time posting

Old 07-04-2018, 11:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First time posting

Hello, my names crabu and i have an alcohol problem.
It’s been around for decades, hiding behind a complex system of denial and subterfuge but it’s getting old - and it’s time to change.
I’m not sure i feel the need to share any of the gory details at this point, admitting i have an issue and posting on here already feels like a pretty big deal.
Or maybe i should say a bit more. Well i’m not a day drinker, i’m not out of control and i wont experience physical withdrawal - no, if i was any if these things i’d have had to address this ages ago. I used to joke that i enjoyed drinking too much to be an alcoholic and i the more i think about it, the more i see how that way of thinking formed the basis of my drinking issues. That as long as i stayed on the right side of some line i’d invented i’d be fine and my denial intact. Well the line moves over time, it has to, otherwise i cross it. Truth is, the line has moved too much recently and it's time to quit with the intellectual arguments and PHD level denial.
I’m hoping this forum is a place I can come to give and receive support, so thanks for reading and stay strong.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, lots of support on here and great advice, well done for posting good luck
Old 07-04-2018, 11:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to have you join us, crabu! This place helped me change my life. Being able to talk about it with those who understand really helped.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You've come to a great place for support.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi crabu!

I made my first post a few days ago after lurking for a few weeks, l had to pluck up the courage because it felt like a big deal to me too so well done for doing it

Good luck on your journey, life is brilliant without the booze and there are loads of lovely people here to help.

PS - my auto correct wants to call you gravy lol so sorry if that pops up in the future.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to you. I hear you on the denial. I spent years denying my problem and then when the truth was blinding, came up with even more creative ways to deny I needed to stop. But I did. And I'm glad I did.
I'm fresh off a relapse myself, but have had more sober time than drinking time over the past 3 years. Sober is always better and this time I know I am done for good.
I hope you can find the same determination and "doneness" on this first go. It is just not worth going back to.

About the place, it is very welcoming and helpful and you can open up as much or as little as you like. We are all here to support you.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard!

I was very nervous about my first post so understand you but now it's just a thing I do.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Crabu,

This place saved my life so far.

Thanks.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, crabu! It's funny, I've never been in denial that I was an alcoholic, just that I was bad enough to need to stop. I also had the litany of things I "wasn't," or things that hadn't happened to me yet (and I was told that stands for "you're eligible too!") Good for you for posting, and opening yourself up to an active support network. We're here for you.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Rar

HI Crabu. Welcome to SR. Looking forward to getting to know you.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome crabu - glad you found us

D
Old 07-04-2018, 05:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Happy for ya crabu! One day at a time and focus on your recovery because you have just begun an exciting new journey. Let's do this!
Old 07-04-2018, 06:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome, crabu. This is a fabulous place for advice, support and information with people who really get it and really care. SR has been a vital part of my getting and staying sober. I hope you stick around and post often. Wishing you the best.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Crabu! I just made my first post yesterday but have been reading this site daily. Reading SR has definitely been helpful to my sobriety on a daily basis.