Notices

Best ways to Feel Better, Without Alcohol?

Old 06-27-2018, 09:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Best ways to Feel Better, Without Alcohol?

I am 54 Days Sober.

I feel bad in the mornings, depression, worry, anxiety, since of doom for no reason ?

Not sleeping well, Body aches, tension, unable to let go and relax.

What did you go through early in sobriety ?

What worked for you to feel better ?

How long did it take you to feel much better overall?
Old 06-27-2018, 09:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there-
Glad you are here. Nobody can tell you what it will be like for you- the more sober time you build up, the better everything will become but it does take that time we are generally not patient for!

I was very sick when I quit, and took about 5-6 mo for me to take on an active job as well as start running baby runs (like, 1 mi). By the end of the year (2016) I was running 5Ks and did so every month in 2017, and added hot yoga this past spring. I went through the GAMUT with PAWS - Post Acute Withdrawal Symptoms, see www.digitaldharma.net - and I made good use of a team of drs, including my GP, psych and liver dr.

My life is built on recovery, and self-care is a big part of that. All I can tell you is that everything is better sober - you are closing in on 2 mo which is awesome! For me, working a program (AA) is also critical.

Look around and see what similarities- rather than diffs- you find with people. Keep going!
Old 06-27-2018, 09:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Walking is what works for me. I just came in from a walk because it looks like it's going to rain. But, I walk miles every day I can.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
nez

What worked for you to feel better ?
This too shall pass...and being stubborn.

How long did it take you to feel much better overall?
I felt better way before I realized that I felt better. One day it came to me "Wow, I have gotten better". I think the light bulb came on at about 6 months, but don't really remember because I am too busy looking forward while focusing on the present.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lift heavy things. Honestly, scientifically and spiritually and physiologically I find lifting weights to be a real panacea.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

90 days was a big turning point for me. It was at that point that I started to have a sober momentum going and could see the light on the other side and knew I was going to be okay.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
J50

The bottom line is you need to let time pass and let your body heal. All the above are good suggestions, but it depends on what your interests are. My advice is to do anything that takes your mind off how you feel. Keep busy and be active. The more days that pass the better you'll feel. Focus on the anxiety, and it will linger longer than it should (trust me).
Old 06-27-2018, 11:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Keep Going

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Walking is what works for me. I just came in from a walk because it looks like it's going to rain. But, I walk miles every day I can.
Yeah, walking was what got me through, too.

I walked miles with dog when the anxiety hit, like a moving meditation. Except it was always raining. I would get wet to the skin and end up crashing through the undergrowth somewhere miles from anywhere like Bear Grylls in a survival situation. It was great.

I loved Body Combat and dance class. Anything where time passed without me noticing and which stopped me thinking.

The anxiety went eventually. You've just got to trust what everyone's saying for a while. It gets better almost without you noticing. And try everything with an open mind until you find out what works for you, and then keep doing it
Old 06-27-2018, 11:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think good sleep is a huge factor and early recovery can be hard for that. So, I don't about the quality of your sleep. But generally speaking when I sleep well life is so much better. I have to have a good bedtime routine and try to go to bed at the same time every night. Try to do relaxing things before bed.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

...and (again) I would suggest to cut down on that 4-6 cups of coffee per day you're drinking for a little while. I cut coffee down to one cup of half-caf daily for the first six months - I was just too anxious/fidgety/uncomfortable. For me coffee causes unwanted circular thinking. I'm much more settled without it and I sleep much better. Decaf tastes good and there is a bit of caffeine, but not enough to get those speedy thoughts running.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

It gets better with time. Sobriety is so much better than drinking/using that it eventually becomes its own reward if you listen to and are honest with yourself.

My mood, energy level and general feelings of well being increased dramatically when I went on my keto diet and started a serious exercise program of cardio and weight training. I find that decreased carb consumption leads to a more even energy distribution during the day.

Losing 55 pounds and putting on muscle is definitely a reward as well.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

try swimming it's like floating meditation.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Swedish massage can also work wonders for the body aches. Also will help you relax and may sleep better as a result.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for starting this thread...it's kind of got me brainstorming...I was feeling kind of "blah" upon awakening this morning...

So anyhow: I like to hearken back to a simpler place/time. When I didn't have so many cares/worries. I could get up in the morning and just take in the beauty of nature...breath in the fresh air and smell the country side. We could saddle up the horses and take off in any direction and even though horses are horses....it' was relaxing and fun at the same time and we would often sing while riding....some songs silly ones; others more serious...we knew LOTS of songs...

I remember going to pick huckleberries up in the high mountains....we didn't worry too much about safety although we did have to be a bit careful about some things....but despite that....it was a release....a little getaway....an we sang while we picked because we enjoyed it and we figured it would also keep the bears away....picking was work, sure....but it was a fun adventurous outing too....

People all over the world are longing to get back to basics...to simpler, yet profound times....maybe it didn't seem too profound at the time....but the further one gets away from these simple things I think the more they yearn for them again....

So , think of something you loved to do when you were a kid....walking barefoot on a sandy beach.....eating popsycles on a hot afternoon....wading in the creek....running through the sprinkler....hanging clean clothes out on the clothesline outside.....having water fights.....sleeping under the stars....going "snipe" hunting in the dark...swimming and jumping off the dock over and over and over.....how many times can a kid jump off a dock before they're tired?? I think there's something about jumping in the water that is therapeutic....

So the next someone tells you to go jump in a lake....say "sure".
Old 06-27-2018, 02:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Springforward. Lots of good suggestion here.
Ultimately tho the thing that helped the most for me was time.

Its not a very popular answer with newcomers but it's my truth - people told me to have faith I'd feel better in time, and I did

D
Old 06-27-2018, 02:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Sounds like you might benefit from a mental health evaluation for depression. Many of us drank to find relief from it .

Walking (fast for 20 minutes at least 3 times per week) can be helpful and improve mood for many people.

It may sound absurd, but finding a way to be helpful to others can be very helpful. I suggest doing something with a truly altruistic motivation and discover if it results in some relief (as a byproduct).
Old 06-27-2018, 02:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm always looking for ways to improve my "attitude".

So, I don't know 'bout y'all but I got to where I simply HATED doing the grocery shopping!! It was like it became this big chore that I dreaded every week. Why? Several reasons I guess. But then I had an epiphany....and thought....this really shouldn't be this hard...what can I do to enjoy it more. I mean, it's got to be done. So then, isn't it really a CHOICE whether I want to make it positive or negative. So I got thinkin'....I'm going to start paying attention to the other shoppers cuz I've noticed that many of them have that look on their faces tooo....like jeez this is a chore and here I am buying groceries again any everything is getting so expensive and stuff.....so I started to try and make eye contact with other shoppers more and see if there was anything I could do or say to cheer them up. And I'd start to strike up conversations with the people that work there, thinking that maybe they could use a little cheering up too....and you know that really helped me a lot and I don't dread it so much anymore.

I've realized more and more over the years that there are a LOT of folks that need some cheering up. If I can cheer someone else up, it also cheers me up. We have many more things in common with others than we realize. Many similar struggles.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I was exactly the same Springforward. Every morning curled in a ball in bed dreading starting the day.
We are all different of course and it's not always helpful to put a time on these things but I can guarantee that it will get better. In fact I never start my days like that any more. It still amazes me.
Things that helped me (and still do):
Acceptance that I'm on a journey and there is no quick fix. Easier said than done but it's important.
Absolute commitment to sobriety no matter how difficult the journey is.
Gratitude for the little things every day.
Changes to my diet (admittedly 5 months in!)
A cosy bed time routine to help my sleep.
A morning routine - sounds silly but make bed, have shower, clean teeth etc etc even when I don't feel like it.
Fresh air and gentle exercise.
I'd lost the ability to function like an adult in so many ways. Even now I'm finding that there are things I need to do in addition to staying sober which help my mental health, self esteem and ability to cope. Relearning how to live takes time.
Keep going you won't regret it!
Old 06-28-2018, 12:06 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

During the day I found I could distract myself from pressing issues. Reading was a good escape.

But what about 3.00 a.m. where does my mind take me then, when there is just me, myself and I. The only solution I know for that is a clear conscience.