Notices

I just wanted to share how I eventually got sober

Old 06-19-2018, 03:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I just wanted to share how I eventually got sober

Iv'e been sober for going on 3 years now.

I started drinking between the 6th and 7th grade, at the time, alcohol wasn't really my drug of choice. Once in 7th grade I got into

hallucinogens and Qualudes and whatever the pill of the day was, I was getting high during school until I got kicked out in the second

year of ninth. After that, alcohol really started taking hold I drank almost everyday, I joined the navy as a geographical fix because

of my drinking, drank heavy through the navy and was already blacking out a lot for a few years by then. Fast forward through about 20

years of heavy drinking, drug use and blacking out everyday, and getting in trouble. I told my self hundreds of times I'd never drink

again but by the end of the day I'd be drinking (mainly over anxiety and to fit in.) After my 3rd dwi I quit drinking for about 2.5

years and hated every minute of it, almost every day was a white knuckle ride especially when I had to be around people. Then after the

4th dwi I quit again, failed after 2 months and then finally quit in oct of 2015 for good. So that's my use background.

What I'm trying to say is that I wasn't able to get over the pain of not drinking (oh yeah, lots of cocaine too),I wasn't able to get

over the pain of not drinking until I was thoroughly convinced that drinking would ruin my life and I simply could not control it once

that first drink went down. What really got me sober is something that happened much worse than the dwi's and the judge gave me 6

months in jail, I lost a really good job, my record is so bad now that getting a job is pretty much out of the question, It's been

really hard trying to find an apartment too, most complexes won't take me. oh I did land another job for a short time but once they did

a background check they **** canned me. I'm thoroughly convinced that if I drink, everything is going down the toilet.

so again what I want to say is that it was too hard for me to quit until I realized that drinking would finish me off for good, prison

would be my home. I guess you could say I hit bottom, or at least as far down as i was willing to go and then quit, after I had this

realization, the craving were gone, Completely! that is the take away from this poorly written post, your craving could possibly go away

once you realize what could happen if you don't quit, and it really does get a lot better and easier.

Thanks for reading!
Old 06-19-2018, 03:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Awesome and super sincere post! I could not have said this better. It shows why we should not wait to hit rock bottom to come out. I am sorry for some of the things that happened with your life, but you are at least free of it now. Hope the future brings good things to you! I will take your words as inspiration in my newly started journey towards sobriety.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing this. I wish you didn't have to take so many hits but I'm glad you did come to that realization. I think I'm starting to understand what it means to not want it anymore...
Old 06-19-2018, 04:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can relate. I have great difficulty getting a job because I can't pass a background check. Had several job offers rescinded, which made me drink even more. I feel hopeless and can't stay sober long because of that.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for sharing Dan - and congrats on 3 years

Don't give up on that job search either

D
Old 06-19-2018, 04:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on three years Dan. I know things will work out for you. I believe sobriety almost guarantees it.