Notices

Day 14 - approaching personal milestone

Old 06-18-2018, 06:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 14 - approaching personal milestone

Wrapping up day 14. Things are going well, but now I need to focus more on my diet. I gave myself a somewhat free pass, because I knew that the AV can be hell in the beginning, so if a little extra snacking/a guilty pleasure here or there kept me satiated in the short term, so be it. Whatever it takes not to drink. I’m getting to a point where I can focus more on that and clean it up because my symptoms from alcohol detox are so much less extreme now.

The cravings right now are fleeting. I’m fine most of the time, and when a craving hits me, it doesn’t last long. I’m thankful for that and hopes it stays like that as often as possible.

I’m approaching a personal milestone though. By the end of Thursday - I will have gone the longest stretch without a drink since I ever picked up my first one.

I’m 33, I actually “played by the rules” and never drank until I was 21. Senior year of college, I had some over the top weekends, but nothing more than college shenanigans. In the years after, I was not a daily drinker. No behavior that was unlike someone in their young twenties, but I’m positive that 3 weeks didn’t pass without a drink.

My drinking got a little more frequent and problematic around 2012, 2013... but it got to full-blown, near-daily, functioning alcoholism around 4 years ago.

The end of Thursday will wrap up day 17, which will beat my best effort so far this year. There’s no way I’m not getting there and beyond - feeling far too good about this right now.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on two weeks sober! Stay sober and the cravings will diminish. It will get better the longer you're sober.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Congrats on two weeks sober! Stay sober and the cravings will diminish. It will get better the longer you're sober.
Thanks Least, I’m looking forward to it!
Old 06-18-2018, 07:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Two weeks is great, BITL!
Old 06-18-2018, 07:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

There are so many good times waiting to be had sober. Press forward and get er done!
Old 06-18-2018, 08:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

Great job! Keep your guard up, the AV likes to strike when things are rolling the right way. Practice vigilance every day.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You have passed that initial point of breaking the vicious cycle. Congrats, and always keep positive. No matter what!
Old 06-18-2018, 10:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well done on two weeks!
Old 06-19-2018, 04:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well done on your sober time BITL

D
Old 06-19-2018, 05:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great job. Same with me- those cravings were so bad the first 10 days, then started to go down. I probably hadn't gone 3 weeks without drinking since I started, like you.

It gets easier. Go to meetings, reach out to people, do service work. Hang in there.