Notices

How did you find your higher power?

Old 05-31-2018, 07:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How did you find your higher power?

I've always struggled with the concept of God, for one, I didn't understand how a so-called "loving God" could allow horrible things like the Holocaust to happen , how a "loving God" could allow people to kill each other and starve etc. It just seemed selfish of me to believe that God could help me when there are so many people he isn't helping.

Another thing is it's just very hard for me to believe in the rationale of God- there are logical explanations for weather, space, disease, death, etc. how with the modern advent of science can we still possibly believe in God?

So I am really looking to find a Higher Power to restore me to sanity, to look to when I am feeling weak, to turn my life over to, but I just don't know how. If I pray, who the hell am I praying to?

Looking for guidance because everyone seems to have a higher power and to be benefiting from it.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Trudgin

As I read We Agnostics I began to understand how to get a foothold on this whole idea of God as we understand Him.

I worked the steps and as a result had a spiritual awakening. When I started looking at the HOW and not the why everything changed. But first, I had to stay sober long enough for my brain to clear.

Keep trudging friend
Old 06-01-2018, 12:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I started my journey from a similar position. I had no belief, but I discovered that belief was not required to make a start. The second step question "Do you now believe or are you even willing to believe in a power greater than yourslef." My answer was no, but I am willing.

I was also completely convinced of the abc s, in respect of no human power could have relieved my alcoholism. I thought I was a lost cause. That God could and would if he were sought came from my observation of the fellowship that he could and did according to many members. They were my witnesses.

So at step three I made the decision to appoint this God I was willing to believe in, as the new manager on my life. Next thing was to get some communication going by unblocking the channels. The manager would be no good to me if I couldn't hear my instructions for all the static in the background,

So we started removing blockages, first with step four and then step five. It was immediately after step five that He made His presence known to me. See page 75 fifth step promises. This is exactly what happened to me. The feeling was so real that you couldn't hold me back for the rest of the program.

I got to experience God personally, and have continued to do so. This experience forms the basis of a faith that works. It came from work.

I get what you are saying about so many bad things in the world. I lost my wife to cancer. I don't pretent to know why God allowed that to happen. I do know that he helped me to be the best husband and father I could be in those circumstances. I had learned that the question I needed to be asking of God is "What is your will for me?"

Perhaps you can see that my old style of prayer, please fix this, please help them, please look after.... was kind of cart before the horse. It was always disappointing when I tried to have God do my will in this way. It works better the other way around.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

CAME to believe in a power greater than ourselves....
we CAME to believeby working the rest of the steps.

Do I now believe, or am I even willing to believe, that there is a Power greater than myself?" As soon as a man can say that he does believe, or is willing to believe, we emphatically assure him that he is on his way.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I set aside everything i had in my head about God,Church,Diety etc and started fresh with nothing
I just asked whoever or whatever that may be "out there" to keep me sober today.At night I looked up at the sky sometimes and said thank you
That simple
as time went by I kept doing it,and then one day when I got to work and shut my Truck door,I noticed something else,I could not remember when I really wanted a drink.I sensed something else was there and it was good.
That was my start,and eventually I did what most AA`s did,I called it God,or my HP,or my Creator.Whatever it was,or is,it is good

I see I had some blocks other than what Mike posted

1.my old ideas of a God
2.confusing that "God" with the bad things in this world
3.I thought I had defined this old God and i didn`t like it
4.I was confused between material things and this "God`s " love for me.I measured "His" love by material things,We was poor and I figured if he really existed,he didn`t give a crap bout me.
5.I blamed this "old god" for my mistakes rather than take responsibility for my bad behaviors

once I set aside those things and opened my mind,it got better
soon,I reached a second step preposition,either He is or He isn`t?Everything or nothing?
I had to make a choice
so,He is,and is everything I have to have to stay sober,or I could not have done step 3.
Today,I cannot comprehend my Creator,I try to experience Him daily,just like I did that day when I shut my truck door and first noticed Him
I found God was in a unsuspected place,page 55 of the big book ,middle of the page tells me where He is and was
chapters 5 and 6 tell me how to get in touch with Him and stay in touch

Old 06-01-2018, 12:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great thread,
I am working with another alcoholic at the moment and we are using the 12 x 12 steps and traditions. We are on step 2 but I felt we should spend more time on this as it is such a key to my sobriety. I will read this thread with her this morning as I really don't think she has experienced a spiritual awakening, this is her 9 th rehab and she has just come back again after being out for 2 weeks.
Tommyh your post resonated with me as we were having a laugh about how people ask God for things like finding car keys and the like.
Bringmeback , to be honest I can't remember how my thinking changed and my acceptance of a higher power came about, it was gradual but very real.

Yesterday I was 7 years sober, I am actually stepping up on my "spiritual" practice and allowing my HP to guide me by accepting what is put in front of me
May you find your HP
CaiHong
Old 06-01-2018, 02:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I know where you are coming from. Been there, done that.

The philosophical "problem of evil" i.e how can an all powerful, all knowing and all loving God allow evil to exist? This was also a big problem for me. How can a world which can be explained rationally through the laws of nature have any room for a God? These were my two primary problems with a higher power, or God.

My story of coming to grips with this can be found here. https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...xperience.html (Having had a spiritual experience)

It is my firm belief that God is made apparent in direct proportion to the sincerity and diligence of that search to find God. I believe this because the confirmation of the fact of Gods existence was only made apparent to me when I sought God without reservation, and with the desire of every fiber of my being.

You might also find the link below useful. It is a link that displays a letter from Carl Jung (the same doctor referred to on page 26 of the big book) to Bill W. Note that Carl Jung had Albert Einstein as a dinner guest and worked with the Nobel Prize winning physicist Wolfgang Pauli. He's no scientific light weight.
Please note in particular the paragraph the begins ... "The only right and legitimate way to such an experience......"
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ng-letter.html

All the best to you.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

Calhong,congratulations on those 7 years!
Old 06-01-2018, 03:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's OK for your higher power not to be a traditional sentient interventionist deity.

The AA Big Book itself actually contains a description that works well for me: "an unsuspected inner resource."

There's actually sound science behind the efficacy of a "higher power" concept in restoring one's sanity. It's a form of neurological re-training or re-wiring. Basically, your old ways of thinking aren't working too well for you, so it's time to adopt some new ones. Getting your brain out of the rut of old ingrained pathways and onto new, healthier ones requires intensive training. Willingness to believe in a higher power that's "not you" is an excellent starting point for a technique to achieve this.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
MrBrad

I became my own higher power in the end.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Whatever gets you there.

It's all good.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by bradly22 View Post
I became my own higher power in the end.
Cheers!