Recovery: wild turkeys

Old 05-29-2018, 11:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Life is good

Recovery: wild turkeys

While out walking today I was greeted by 4 wild turkeys. This lightened my heart and lifted sadness that has been flowing through me.

Benjamin Franklin would have preferred to have the Wild Turkey, not the Bald Eagle, chosen as the national symbol of the United States. Although the barnyard variety is a rather stupid creature (leading to the insulting tone of the term "turkey"), the original wild form is a wary and magnificent bird. Wild Turkeys usually get around by walking or running, but they can fly strongly, and they typically roost overnight in tall trees. Turkeys were formerly considered to belong to a separate family from other chicken-like birds; there are only two species, ours in North America and the Ocellated Turkey in Central America.

"Turkey males, or toms, are vocal animals. We all know the characteristic gobble, but they also make an amazing sound called a boom or “chump” which is a sound emitted from deep in their chest that causes the air to shudder. The sound is like a subtle sonic boom. This chump is followed by a hum that is either created by a rattling of their tail or an exhalation of air through their mouth. The mechanism for each vocalization is not fully understood.

This reminds us to pay attention to how sounds affect our physical bodies. Which sounds repel or attract you? Turkey might be able to help teach you about how listen to your environment with your whole body rather than just your ears.

It is also a reminder to be mindful of the vibration or energy we are putting out into the world from the core of who we are."
Old 05-29-2018, 02:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

We have a lot of turkeys pass through our yard, scratch around the bird feeders, then move on.
The cats are fascinated by them.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree with Ben Franklin. I've never seen a wild turkey, I'm jealous.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life is good

I've been seeing wild turkey often lately. Drawn back to this thread today.

Thinking of rhythms, vibrations, sounds. Listening to life around me. At times I've had music turned up today, other times listening the the leaves rustling in the breeze and other sounds of nature.