Notices

Three Years

Old 05-25-2018, 05:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Three Years

So, it's been three years and a couple of days since my last drink. I don't tend to count days, but know the date I stopped and hitting an anniversary like this is pretty cool.

It's been ages since I posted on here. Reason is I've been busy. Since I quite I've changed a lot about my life. And all for the better.

One thing I did was retrain for a new career in counselling, back at university after 30 years or so, and soon I'll be able to add some new letters after my name. The most amazing, difficult, challenging, exciting, life affirming thing I've ever done. I'm absolutely not the same person now I was before starting this.

And I've been working at an addictions centre, counselling friends and family of people with drug and alcohol issues. If I needed any extra belief I made the right decision to get off the elevator when I saw it was going down, rather than waiting for it to hit the bottom, seeing the suffering of those on the other side has provided it. It's been heartbreaking at times, but extraordinarily rewarding.

And I learned to play a new instrument and am in a band and having a blast doing that.

And my relationships with my loved ones are stronger. I feel connected to them, and the world as a whole, in ways I don't remember experiencing before.

I would have done none of these things if I was still drinking. All these good things started the day I stopped.

I'm not going to try and offer advice for methods etc to stop with. What worked for me might not be the right way for someone else (though think you can search my older posts to find out what approach I took). But I wanted to post to once again say a massive thank you to the SR community for the role this site played in my decision to quit. And I guess to also say to anyone struggling in the early days, that what you are going through may feel incredibly painful and difficult, but the end result of a sober life is so, so worth it. I believe with every ounce of my being that we are all capable of change. I've experienced it myself, and I see it week in week out with clients. People without hope discovering strength they never knew they had. You can do this
Old 05-25-2018, 05:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nice job on three years, that is great to hear!
Old 05-25-2018, 05:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow, what a great and aspiring post. Congrats on your accomplishments, im sure it wasnt easy. Just so happens those are 2 things i was thinking about getting into myself.. im only on day 3 but no doubts which way im heading. Can i ask what you have your degree in? And which instrument did you choose?
Old 05-25-2018, 05:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations! Thanks for the inspiring post.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on three years and the education too! Thank you for showing that it can be done.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

super amazing!!! thanks for coming back here and sharing your story. the newcomers need to see that recovery is possible.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, thank you for the inspiring update, OpenTuning!

Congratulations on 3 years!
Old 05-25-2018, 07:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Amazing, congratulations!!!
Old 05-25-2018, 07:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Way to go opentuning - congrats
Old 05-25-2018, 08:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Fantastic!

OT, I have always enjoyed your insights and observations. How wonderful to read that you're entering the next chapter as a counselor. I know that those who work with you will benefit greatly. You've helped me.

All the best to you. Congratulations!
Old 05-25-2018, 09:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks great news👍 Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-25-2018, 11:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats on three years! That's awesome!
Old 05-25-2018, 11:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great job on everything!!!!
Old 05-26-2018, 03:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Beautiful. Inspirational. So great to hear how a life can be reclaimed and transformed. Thanks so much for sharing this with us. I look forward to posting something similar when (not if) I reach 3 years. Not sure what instrument you’ve learned, or what type of band you’re in, but Rock On!!
Old 05-26-2018, 03:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Thanks a million for posting this from the bottom of my heart! It is just what I need to hear and aspire to on my own journey. Change is possible and you are living proof, I am so pleased for you and one day look forward to posting something similar myself. xx
Old 05-26-2018, 04:11 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Old 05-26-2018, 05:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Rar

Three years is wonderful! Thanks for the inspiring update.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:16 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Great job on 3 years. I hit three years last month and It's been a wild ride at times.
Peace...
TC..
Old 05-27-2018, 08:39 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you for all the lovely messages, it really means a lot. For those just starting out on your journey three years probably sounds like a life time, but some advice I came across right at the beginning was a huge help. You don't have to not drink for three years, or five years, or a lifetime. You only have to not drink right now. Because it's always right now.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:58 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

OpenTuning, congratulations on your three years, that’s awesome!

I’m not sure what method you used to stop drinking, or maybe combination, but you are living proof it can be done and life can improve, immeasurably.

This SR community, likewise, aided and guided me towards ceasing a twenty year addiction, forever: as you put it, the forever now! It’s fabulous to read of your and others successes.

I will never drink again and I will never change my mind. Onwards with life, it’s so precious, it must be lived to the full.