Notices

cravings stronger at certain times?

Old 05-21-2018, 04:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

cravings stronger at certain times?

Just a quick question, and this one is geared more toward the ladies in the group...

Has anyone noticed any correlation with stronger cravings at certain times of the month? The longer I have been sober and developing a healthy awareness of my body I really believe there is a strong correlation in cravings and hormonal shifts.

I don't want to over-think this but I haven't really found anything great online about this and just wondered if anyone else had similar experiences.

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2018, 07:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sara, hi.
not sure why this is in the 12step section? you might get more responses in the general Alcoholism section.

but since it is in the 12 step section, i will just point out that the BB speaks of craving as something that happens after the ingestion of alcohol, a craving for more, and that other than that it would be the mental obsession. I think i got that right, and hope someone will correct me if not.

it makes sense to me that hormonal shifts can and do influence all kinds of things, including state of mind. I never noticed correlation of drinking urges with menstrual cycle, but certainly noticed a correlation with my moods.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Sara,

I;m a man I had cravings 24/7 in my first 6-9 + months clean. I didn't drink, went to a lot of meetings, worked a lot of hours etc..

I was in a Saturday meeting and the topic was similar.. was sitting there listening to everyone and I realized the urge/ craving , Bondage was gone, can't explain it but it was gone/removed..

wishing you the best!!
Old 05-22-2018, 02:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What an interesting question. I haven't personally noticed a correlation, but then, I haven't been looking for one. I have PMDD so my hormones get a little messed up anyway lol but now I'm very intrigued to see if there is any pattern to my cravings along with it.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My cravings always start around late afternoon even though I usually never drank until late evening. I also have cravings when I'm in a stressful situation.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Yes, I probably posted in the wrong forum- sorry! details are not my strong suite.

After some more consideration I believe, like Fini pointed out, that the hormones obviously effect my mood and my choice to drink often was to avoid "mood" issues. I'm often restless mid-cycle and this leads to "acting out" in addictive ways and thus, I'm just noticing it more now that I am more aware.

As someone in recovery pointed out to me today, I probably need to get more spiritually grounded at this time and treat that need.

Thanks again!
Old 05-22-2018, 07:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

nothing wrong withposting here....just that the more general "Alcoholism" forum gets way more traffic.

moods...ja, any kind of mood clearly seemed to require drinking. but it doesn't.
nothing does