Notices

I'm back...was MIA

Old 05-16-2018, 03:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm back...was MIA

Well, I haven't visited this site in quite sometime because when I keep drinking I tend to not look at recovery info/sites or go to meetings. I know bad, bad, bad! When I use to be on this site it was helpful so on my more than hundred times of trying to stop drinking. I decided to not be afraid or ashamed to come back here and another site that I find helpful. I went to detox for 5 days between April 23 and the 28. I ran into a problem with my health care license (surrendered it) because the board tested me and it was positive for high amounts of alcohol. I would of been finished being in their mandatory program on March 18th, but I got busted on February 15th. I have been in this program for 4 years, drank quite often but never got caught. They wanted me to do 3 more years and I just fail so much at staying sober I just said the hell with it.Well once reality set in that I sent the email surrending my license I picked up after 2 weeks being home. I got a case of the F its and called myself drinking at them. Well I feel terrible, my son and mom are really hurt. I haven't drank today and want to stop. I need support. I have isolated so much and put up a front that Im not drinking for mostly everyone except my son and my mom.i drink at home alone that when **** hits the fan I have no one to share it with. Its very hard for me to ask for help, but after drinking alcoholically since 2004 I am admitting I can't do this by myself. Thanks in advance to anyone who reaches out to me. This is so hard for me to do...ask for help. Think that's why I was terrible at AA.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

glad ya made it back mistory.
i think a LOT of us have a problem with asking for help- pride can really get in the way.
humility never hurt anyone.
lack of it has destroyed nations.

something wild i found out in AA:
i had a LOT of people willing and wanting to help but couldnt until i reached out and asked. once i got the humility to reach out, solutions came pouring in.

it wasnt easy admitting and accepting i couldnt fix my thinking with my thinking, but it was necessary. the only thing my thinking did was get me drunk. i had to have the thinking of others to help me recover.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks
Old 05-16-2018, 04:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you asked for help mistory

I think recovery starts with a day one - tons of support here - unless you feel you need medical supervision to be safe, why not go for it?

welcome back

D
Old 05-16-2018, 04:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Rar

Welcome back Mistory. Congrats on declaring a Day 1. You can do it. Stay close to SR. As you know, it helps. I can't quit alone. I rely on SR for help. It's good you're here.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back! I hope our support can help you achieve lasting sobriety.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i actually have an appointment for iop intake tomorrow. worried they are going to turn me away when they find out i had binge drinking for 4 days. ive been clean today. i think they are going to say i need inpatient, but i just cant go away. helping my son with college admission and financial aide.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's good to have you back with us, mistory.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

me too!!!
Old 05-16-2018, 06:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ty
Old 05-16-2018, 06:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

You keep coming back because you know the right thing to do. You got this partner!
Old 05-16-2018, 10:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're back!! Good luck tomorrow with IOP. If for some reason they suggest inpatient for a bit can someone else help finish up the financial aid for your son? Would you be able to get that taken care of before heading into a program?
Old 05-17-2018, 12:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Missing in Action, MIA. I was MII for almost a year from when I first got a look at the means of recovery I eventually employed successfully. MII meant missing in inaction. I was shown a way but chose not to act.

I heard a very interesting speaker at an AA meeting the other night, talking about brisk action on the AA program. His experience was that his action on the program had to stay ahead of his thinking. Act first, think later made sense to me. My pace with the program was relatively slow, 90 days to get part way into step nine. But fortunately my thinking was even slower, otherwise I may well have thunk myself out of sobriety.

I have seen enough to know that action, not thinking, is what gets alcoholics like me sober. Thinking about an action like taking a particular step, without the benefit of the experience of having taken the step, will place fear to the forefront in our considerations. We will not have the benefit from the action to balance out the fear.

When I recovered I did it by jumping in boots and all, without reservation. It seems to have worked for me, maybe ot would for you.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BDTL View Post
You keep coming back because you know the right thing to do. You got this partner!
Ty so much
Old 05-17-2018, 09:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
I'm glad you're back!! Good luck tomorrow with IOP. If for some reason they suggest inpatient for a bit can someone else help finish up the financial aid for your son? Would you be able to get that taken care of before heading into a program?
Ty so much!
Old 05-17-2018, 09:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
Missing in Action, MIA. I was MII for almost a year from when I first got a look at the means of recovery I eventually employed successfully. MII meant missing in inaction. I was shown a way but chose not to act.

I heard a very interesting speaker at an AA meeting the other night, talking about brisk action on the AA program. His experience was that his action on the program had to stay ahead of his thinking. Act first, think later made sense to me. My pace with the program was relatively slow, 90 days to get part way into step nine. But fortunately my thinking was even slower, otherwise I may well have thunk myself out of sobriety.

I have seen enough to know that action, not thinking, is what gets alcoholics like me sober. Thinking about an action like taking a particular step, without the benefit of the experience of having taken the step, will place fear to the forefront in our considerations. We will not have the benefit from the action to balance out the fear.

When I recovered I did it by jumping in boots and all, without reservation. It seems to have worked for me, maybe ot would for you.
You make a great point inaction keeps me drinking. Im trying to stay focused on what i have to do today....go to iop intake at 130 and then i have to find a f2f meeting and not worry about the shame im feeling
Old 05-17-2018, 09:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You make a great point inaction keeps me drinking. Im trying to stay focused on what i have to do today....go to iop intake at 130 and then i have to find a f2f meeting and not worry about the shame im feeling about going in and out of meetings. I just want to change but scared i can't
Old 05-17-2018, 03:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by mistory5 View Post
You make a great point inaction keeps me drinking. Im trying to stay focused on what i have to do today....go to iop intake at 130 and then i have to find a f2f meeting and not worry about the shame im feeling about going in and out of meetings. I just want to change but scared i can't
I was scared I couldn't change too. I tried and tried and could never pull it off. It was a reasonable fear, based in experience.

When I went to my first AA meeting, I was frightened about that. I was stepping into the unknown in more ways than one, and I was fairly well convinced that I was a lost cause anyway.

What I didn't know, because I had never experienced it, was that my action in AA would lead me to a whole new deal. The changes I was unable to make were, in a sense, made for me. I came out of it with a totally different outlook, and life has been more than satisfactory ever since.

I know that sense of shame. My first few meetings I sat at the back, looked at the floor. If I was asked to speak, I said 'My name is Mike, I am an alcoholic, and I would just like to listen thanks". And that was OK. I got way more from listening anyway.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I was scared I couldn't change too. I tried and tried and could never pull it off. It was a reasonable fear, based in experience.

When I went to my first AA meeting, I was frightened about that. I was stepping into the unknown in more ways than one, and I was fairly well convinced that I was a lost cause anyway.

What I didn't know, because I had never experienced it, was that my action in AA would lead me to a whole new deal. The changes I was unable to make were, in a sense, made for me. I came out of it with a totally different outlook, and life has been more than satisfactory ever since.

I know that sense of shame. My first few meetings I sat at the back, looked at the floor. If I was asked to speak, I said 'My name is Mike, I am an alcoholic, and I would just like to listen thanks". And that was OK. I got way more from listening anyway.
TY...I appreciate you sharing your experience with me. Were you able to get sober doing just listening?
Old 05-17-2018, 06:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope all goes well mistory

D