Notices

What are your goals?

Old 05-13-2018, 03:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What are your goals?

Hiya, I've been lurking around the site for a few days now writing the occasional post but Day 1 has finally arrived and I am starting my journey. I've been sober before, had nearly 5 years but have been in hell for the past 3 years. I was reading the very helpful post by Dee74 about recovery plans and followed some of the links. It got me wondering - what are other people's goals? Mine are...

1. Climb a mountain again - I was an avid hiker but diet and lack of exercise mean I am extremely unfit and overweight.
2. Wear jewellery again. I have tons of it that I used to love wearing but generally I can't be bothered anymore.
3. Sit next to my husband on the sofa and snuggle. I don't do that because I'm hiding what I'm drinking. We have drifted apart.
4. Do at least something from my to-do list. Usually can't be bothered.
5. Stop taking co-codamol. This codeine based, highly addictive painkiller was at least partly to blame for my relapse. I take it 4 times a day every day. I don't need it.
6. Decorate one room in my house. We moved over 18 months ago to a house that needs every room decorating. Only painted one ceiling so far.
7. Be good at my job. Usually rubbish because I'm hungover.
8. Read a book when I go to bed. I love books but always too drunk to read anything.
9. Sleep through the night. I know some sleepless nights are coming, I look forward to this one.
10. Don't drink today. An important one I think.

I blame alcohol for robbing me of all of the above. It is helpful to write it down, to remind myself of the damage it has caused. It gives me strength and I am usually a goal-oriented person so achieving some of these will feel good.

I would be interested in hearing about other people's goals for inspiration, whether you're just starting out or are an old hat at this
Old 05-13-2018, 03:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

mine is simply not to become a drunken bum. Because I am really heading that way if i keep drinking, and whats scary is my alcoholic mind is happy to let me live that lifestyle as long as there is flowing booze.

job, relationships, family, future - all slipping away from me if i drink.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I’m going to join ya. I can relate to this more then you know
Old 05-13-2018, 03:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My goals are to get out on my motorcycle more, the English summer is very short and will be cold and wet before I know it,I will not drink and drive so the bike stays in the garage too often,I also love walking but drinking makes me so lazy and I end up making excuses not to get out so I can drink more,the 7 months I was sober were the best times of my life
Old 05-13-2018, 03:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Mine is essentially to claw back slowly but surely the life I have missed out on for 20 years whilst I was drunk. Run a Marathon, decorate the whole house, volunteer, gain a promotion....all a little of what I hope to achieve in the future
Old 05-13-2018, 03:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Renvate View Post
job, relationships, family, future - all slipping away from me if i drink.
Yep, same here. Close with the first one.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dangry View Post
the 7 months I was sober were the best times of my life
Tell me about it. I did so much and felt so much better. I need to remind myself that there will come a time when it is not an ever present thought in my head.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Listening to Eckhart tolle on YouTube really helped me the first time I quit, maybe not for everyone but I couldn't have done it without him, not believing everything you think to be true was a real wow moment for me