Notices

Day 4 Sweats

Old 05-10-2018, 01:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 4 Sweats

I’m 4 days sober after a 10 day binge of nearly a fifth of vodka daily. This is my third (real) attempt at sobriety, I have repeated a month dry followed by a 7-10 day relapse twice now.
I’m feeling a little better each day, but the sweats have been horrible! All day long I feel flushed and sweaty. I’m trying to hydrate as much as I can, any other suggestions?
I’m glad to be here on this site!
Old 05-10-2018, 01:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PurpleDawn18 View Post
I’m 4 days sober after a 10 day binge of nearly a fifth of vodka daily. This is my third (real) attempt at sobriety, I have repeated a month dry followed by a 7-10 day relapse twice now.
I’m feeling a little better each day, but the sweats have been horrible! All day long I feel flushed and sweaty. I’m trying to hydrate as much as I can, any other suggestions?
I’m glad to be here on this site!
Without giving any medical advice, you should seek out a doctor if you have an concerns, I remember actually looking forward to the sweats every time I "quit" drinking. Used to give me the feeling that finally I was rounding the bases toward feeling ok - especially when I'd have a sweaty, sober decent night of sleep. Ridiculous, but true.

Congrats on Day 4. Stay strong.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Boy do I remember the sweats.

That whole first week - 76 days ago - I'd wake up every morning with an almost drenched t-shirt.

I always took it as a good sign. My body doing the work of purging poison. I've come to believe that my body and my mind really don't need me to do anything other than quit poisoning it with toxic influences. If I just put myself in places/ people/ situations that are largely toxin free my bod and my mind are more than capable of sorting themselves out.

Keep riding it out man. It gets sooooo much better.

-B
Old 05-10-2018, 01:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for the feedback. I agree, it’s part of flushing out toxins in my body. Annoying and uncomfortable still! Of course never easy, but I know is worth it.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good job on Day 4! Hopefully the sweats will ease up soon.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Anna
Old 05-10-2018, 02:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, PurpleDawn.

Well done on four days.
Old 05-10-2018, 03:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome purpledawn

the only thing that worked for me was time..hopefully things will return to normal soon

D
Old 05-10-2018, 05:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Its been my experience that it is just part of process of drying out. I've had sweats last 1 day, I have had them last 3 days. Good job on quitting, a fifth a day is a pretty healthy amount.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Lots of good hydration is needed - green tea, water etc. If you are in doubt, please go to ER or check with your doc! I have also found that once you can tolerate it, a steam room helps.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Lots of water, maybe with a splash of ACV and a squeeze of lemon in there from time to time: it’s alkaline-promoting and very refreshing. If you need to hydrate (and it sounds like that’s what your body wants), go easy on the caffeine, soft drinks and fruit juices: water is by a mile the best thing. Milk is also oddly thirst quenching if you can stomach it. Sleep in a cool environment if you can, don’t go too hard at exercise while you’re feeling as you do, and stay out of hot baths! And eat cooling foods: salads, some fruits, that type of thing.

One last thing, and it goes without saying: if you are concerned, do see a doctor.

My very best to you. Keep going!
Old 05-10-2018, 09:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Write down everything, how you are feeling, the hell you are going through, and keep them close as a reminder of what happens when you drink.
Also google "kindling" and watch youtube videos. The ER staff at your local hospital will likely have you on a first name basis if you keep it up.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Rar

Rooting for you. Day 4 is great! The advice above is perfect - hydration, cool room, etc. Be gentle with yourself.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

How are you feeling today, PurpleDawn?
Old 05-14-2018, 02:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks all for the feedback. I am at Day 8, feeling much better physically and mentally. Had a busy weekend and hadn’t logged in to SR.
Reading other threads here I’m realizing I need an action plan. I vaguely had a plan with previous attempts- but they weren’t concrete and obviously not enough. I thought about my plan the last few days, first it was “plan: get through initial detox”, end.
My plan for today in my sobriety:
- Journal
- Reach out to SR for support
- 8pm AA meeting
- Hydrate

This is my start. I’m thankful to be here.