Notices

Day 7

Old 05-10-2018, 07:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 7

I am feeling so much better today, both physically and mentally. I know my challenge is going to be questioning whether or not I can learn to drink moderately. I know from the past that this is not possible for me as I have tried several times. I always ended up going back to my old habits which are drinking until I blackout (unintentionally of course), almost daily. Summer memories of having a glass of wine in the sun come back and are hard to deal with too. I'm so thankful to have found this group. Reading the posts, I can see that I'm not unique in my struggle. I really wish alcohol didn't exist. Well, off to a good day, I will not drink today! I shall wake up tomorrow with a clear head once again. Thanks for listening!
Old 05-10-2018, 08:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I will not drink with you today!

What you said about summer memories of drinking in the sun-- isn't the nice weather such a huge trigger? I've always found it to be the same way as well. I'm holding out hope that if I acknowledge my urges and watch them pass, all will be well. I hope the same for you, too. One day at a time, be awesome and don't give up. Much easier said than done, but we can do this together, internet stranger!!
Old 05-10-2018, 08:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

welcome to SR and great job on day 7!

My suggestion is to stock your fridge with your favorite non-alcoholic drinks. Like ice tea or flavored seltzer water etc. and plenty of cold fresh fruit etc. and Maybe some ice cream and popsicles.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks so much! Yes, one day at a time with our internet supporters!!!
Old 05-10-2018, 09:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great idea! I have found that drinking water is a bit bland so I add a touch of ginger ale to give it some spritz.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflower1964 View Post
Great idea! I have found that drinking water is a bit bland so I add a touch of ginger ale to give it some spritz.
I've always really loved ginger ale!! My go-to is flavored seltzer. It's fairly cheap unless you get the pricey stuff (looking at you, la croix...) and no calories or anything!
Old 05-10-2018, 12:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Sunflower

For many of us there isn't and never will be that middle ground. I believe seeking it is a good indicator that we aren't ever going to find it.

"Playing the tape forward" is a good coping mechanism for those drinking thoughts. If you haven't heard of it before it just means fast forwarding to the end, as if it were a movie where that first glass of wine in the sun is the start. I bet you already know the ending, and it's worth spending some time thinking about what that looks and feels like.

I'll also be joining you in not drinking today.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey there! Great job detoxing. Day 7 wooHOO!

I know my challenge is going to be questioning whether or not I can learn to drink moderately.
I suspect many of us around here can relate to this. You aren't alone. That said, I can not tell you the relief that comes with simply looking at yourself on a regular basis and saying "Nope."

The sooner you are able to just let go of it the sooner you can get to a place where you realize it doesn't matter if it exists or not - you just aren't doing it.

Try to recognize that the voice asking that question isn't really you - it's your AV. You are well on your way to being able to put it in it's place.

Keep truckin'!

-B
Old 05-10-2018, 01:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 5upersonic View Post
Hi Sunflower

For many of us there isn't and never will be that middle ground. I believe seeking it is a good indicator that we aren't ever going to find it.

"Playing the tape forward" is a good coping mechanism for those drinking thoughts. If you haven't heard of it before it just means fast forwarding to the end, as if it were a movie where that first glass of wine in the sun is the start. I bet you already know the ending, and it's worth spending some time thinking about what that looks and feels like.

I'll also be joining you in not drinking today.
I can relate to this post, similar path myself. The idea of “playing it forward”- for me I’ve tried this and found it made me obsess the thoughts of a drink even more leading to intense craving. Anyone else have this experience?
Old 05-10-2018, 03:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on a week Sunflower

Try to not think too far ahead - easy to overwhelm yourself that way...

there are many many bridges to cross - but they can wait til you get to them

D
Old 05-10-2018, 04:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Very well done on 7 days is sobriety, Sunflower.

ODAAT.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks so much, so true. I just need to stop asking that question because I know the answer.