Notices

Alcohol prices/ labeling

Old 05-02-2018, 01:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol prices/ labeling

I'm sure I'm not alone in smoking heavily when I drink. But the price of cigarettes and the ugly packaging has made a difference to how much I smoke.

If alcohol was packaged with unpleasant pictures of misery would people still buy it? Also if it was made prohibitally expensive like cigarettes wount people drink less,
Old 05-02-2018, 01:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Highercall View Post
I'm sure I'm not alone in smoking heavily when I drink. But the price of cigarettes and the ugly packaging has made a difference to how much I smoke.

If alcohol was packaged with unpleasant pictures of misery would people still buy it? Also if it was made prohibitally expensive like cigarettes wount people drink less,
It seems to have reduced cigarette smoking in this country.
The liquor industry of course wants drinking seen as a reasonable and pleasant social activity.
In this country you can have a drinks card and get freebies.
There are so called happy hours, marked down beers, specials
etc, all designed to increase pub profits.
Then of course the drinker receives mixed messages in a sort of
damage control exercise.
If one seriously looks at the mass social misery and destructiveness caused by alcohol they may well choose to opt out completely.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I’m pretty sure the biggest factor in my my booze selection label-wise, was the “alcohol by volume” part... the art doesn’t matter to an alcoholic substantively, I reckon.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wehav2day View Post
I’m pretty sure the biggest factor in my my booze selection label-wise, was the “alcohol by volume” part... the art doesn’t matter to an alcoholic substantively, I reckon.

Name, origin and artwork didn't Matter.. all I saw was the % .. if ain't 14.5% or 5% the it don't matter.

Thankfully I have stayed away from spirits in my 12 years of binging, only sometimes.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It really wouldn't do anything. Most people that smoke do so daily, or not at all, with only a few that smoke here and there.
Alcohol is the complete opposite with most that don't drink or do so responsibly, with only a small amount that are alcoholics.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

In Scotland this week they have introduced a minimum pricing depending on how many units of alcohol they contain, so for example a strong bottled drink with 14 units (7.5 abv) was previously £2.50 (3.39$) but now would be £7.50 (10.18$).

Whilst I dont think it will be a miracle worker as people will sacrifice something (food etc) to buy or get their fix, I think it definitely is a step in the right direction and possibly drive people to seek help.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

We and we alone make the choice to drink or not to drink. Sure alcohol is readily available and marketed heavily, but we still have to make the choice to actually buy it and then drink it.

You have to look no further than illicit drugs to know that an addict will go to ANY means to get what they want, regardless of how many warnings are given.