Notices

Slippery Slope

Old 04-16-2018, 06:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Slippery Slope

This past weekend I think I came as close to drinking as I have since I quit in October 2015. We had a historical snowstorm and it was bad. It snowed constantly for over 40 hrs. Everything was closed (even in fast food restaurants the lights were off), nobody could really do anything. I've always said boredom is the enemy and I was bored stiff. For many years I was working during these blizzards because my company plowed snow, that is no longer the case. It also made me question if I'm living in recovery or if I'm still just "not drinking". I think there is a difference. I did not cave and I am extremely grateful that we got back on our normal schedule today. Just kind of wanted to get that off my chest.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good stuff. I don't necessarily think you need.to.read into.it. just years of.conditioning rearing.its head
Old 04-16-2018, 07:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad you didn't drink.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you didn't drink too Jeff.

I wouldn't be *too* hard on yourself - I think everyone has had a testing time now and again - its what we do in response that counts - the important thing is you stayed true.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Way to power through. Sounds like it was worth it.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

" It also made me question if I'm living in recovery or if I'm still just "not drinking"."

Interesting self-question. I hope you found something meaningful/insightful/useful in pursuing it.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well done, Jeff.

Very proud of you, always.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm glad you didn't drink Jeff! I also saw several posts you wrote to others to support them this past weekend, so it only did you stay the course, you tried to help others do the same.❤️
Old 04-17-2018, 12:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great that you didn’t drink. I have found when I have negotiated situations, in which I previously drunk, sober, they are a little awkward. Previously I would have tried to eliminate this awkwardness with a drink. Now I have other responses. My point is that as time goes on these situations, are less as you negotiate more and more of life sober. But freak storms and original situations can make us go to our old response, drink, before realising that our new responses are better. I wouldn’t worry, actually I’d see it as a positive.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting. Your time is sobriety is very impressive and I always appreciate your insight on SR.

It's both a daunting and exciting thing to consider that even 2+ years of sobriety does not vanquish the Beast/the cravings. In a sense it could make one despondent. On the other hand it just shows that a life well-lived is a fight against temptation and poor decisions and "sin". Eternal vigilance is the price of freedom and all that.

Thank you for your post. And congrats on the getting-through.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I remember those prolonged winters all too well! Soul crushing stuff..

Props to you for pushing through.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I remember when I lived in Truckee I woke up on mother's day morning and it was blizzard-ing. Good lord. We drove to Reno and stayed at the Atlantis, swam at the indoor pool and ordered room service. That was fun! And a long time ago.

So dunno, maybe you need to add something? If you are feeling that 'just not drinking' feeling maybe that's a sign?

Good on ya for not drinking!
Old 04-17-2018, 06:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ZBeeblebrox View Post
Great that you didn’t drink. I have found when I have negotiated situations, in which I previously drunk, sober, they are a little awkward. Previously I would have tried to eliminate this awkwardness with a drink. Now I have other responses. My point is that as time goes on these situations, are less as you negotiate more and more of life sober. But freak storms and original situations can make us go to our old response, drink, before realising that our new responses are better. I wouldn’t worry, actually I’d see it as a positive.
I was thinking about this very same thing last week. My DH and I spent the week in VT, in a town that I lived in when we first met. I haven't been there since I stopped drinking last year and as soon as we began walking around the town, my AV popped up in a big way! It reminded me of when I quit smoking...I had to learn to do everything that I used to do while smoking, smoke free. Same with booze! The cravings didn't last more than the first day...then I was fine.

CT
Old 04-17-2018, 06:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

This weather is nuts isn’t it? I swear I had the windows open one day enjoying the fresh air. Today I wake up to snow! I’m glad you didn’t drink. I was doing so well for so long and once that door was cracked open, back to day one today. Thanks for posting. It’s good to know we’re not alone.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Weather can throw me for a loop, too. We've had so much rain lately. I live on a river and it's up and it gets scary for me when there is so much rapidly flowing water. My over-active mind goes to flood-homeless.

I find I have all kinds of fears that I just never explored when drinking.

And, yeah, boredom. I haven't spent any time outside in over a week.

everything is green, so there's that...
Old 04-17-2018, 09:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It was just a thought--you didn't act on it and that is the important thing. Excellent job powering through, Jeff. I get it about boredom-it is my enemy too.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
This past weekend I think I came as close to drinking as I have since I quit in October 2015. We had a historical snowstorm and it was bad. It snowed constantly for over 40 hrs. Everything was closed (even in fast food restaurants the lights were off), nobody could really do anything. I've always said boredom is the enemy and I was bored stiff. For many years I was working during these blizzards because my company plowed snow, that is no longer the case. It also made me question if I'm living in recovery or if I'm still just "not drinking". I think there is a difference. I did not cave and I am extremely grateful that we got back on our normal schedule today. Just kind of wanted to get that off my chest.
Hey Thomas,
I too am in MN, it was terrible. I am glad you didnt drink
Spring is on the way