Notices

A Man And His Dog

Old 04-16-2018, 10:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Man And His Dog

So - the dog 🐕🐕🐕.
It gets to Xmas 2017 and theres talk of a female Llasa Apso - 7 yrs old - that will go to the pound unless somebody steps in.
Irrationally and without research I stepped and and we are now with dog.
My point - this dog - Tara by name - seems to have coincided with me firstly cutting down on alcohol - then me entering through the door into the Sober Room.
A distraction then - something else to focus on.
Now - Im not prescribing getting a dog - the circumstances might not be right.
But I refer to an earlier post I put up about finding stuff to do - my dog your yoga, running, education, reading, travel - anything to take your mind to somewhere else than the thought of a bottle.
Its all been said before - just sharing the good stuff.
Hope you are all fighting fit after the weekend. Onwards and upwards!
Dave 🤠 and her 🐕
Old 04-16-2018, 10:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Aw that was nice of you.

My doggy is also a rescue...as in I was sitting outside a restaurant and he came running up to me with the look 'save me' on his face. Poor little guy was starving. So I took him. And 8 years later he's just the sweetest guy ever. And he's always in a good mood. Unlike my cat.....
Old 04-16-2018, 10:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

And that was kind of you ! Ive got plans to get her a little friend in a couple of years. A little Apso pup hopefully for her to "show the way"
Appears it often not so easy as it sounds for behavioural reasons - but effort = results as we are learning together here.
Thanks Fricka
Dave 🤠
Old 04-16-2018, 11:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So true! I have a hobby that is so much fun and I have found that I'm getting to enjoy it more since I'm sober. The results are so much better too! I would drink and hobby and then the next morning look at it and think wtf!
Old 04-16-2018, 11:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

All good news Ladybug.
Regards
Dave 🤠
Old 04-16-2018, 11:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBug66 View Post
So true! I have a hobby that is so much fun and I have found that I'm getting to enjoy it more since I'm sober. The results are so much better too! I would drink and hobby and then the next morning look at it and think wtf!
LadyBug66, me too!!!
Old 04-16-2018, 02:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Dave, that was great for you to give Tara a home. When I was a kid we had a Lhasa Apso. I loved him. His formal name was Charlamain (sp?) but we called him Charlie.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

"Unlike my cat..... "

Tell me about it...

;-)
Old 04-16-2018, 02:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Cheers Ringo.
I believe in fate. Its something to believe in anyway as I go through life questioning other belief systems. Thats an aside.
Id spell it Charlemagne - from a Steely Dan tune probably well before your time but it really doesnt matter. Charlie sounds cool.
She has a wonderful personality - you can never quite make her out - ooooh the intrigue .
Her downfall is that she has to be on lead. She runs at cars and although 100 per cent concentrated on marking out her patch she is unaware of danger.
Might take her to a training centre - because - and here's the link! - as we all know here , it is possible to teach the old dog new tricks.
Dave 🤠
Old 04-18-2018, 02:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This old dog has certainly learned some new tricks! And I am old enough for Steely Dan. I don't know how old Steely Dan is but I'm 60 years young.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Kid Charlemagne!!! One of my all-time Steely Dan songs. I think it was on the Royal Scam album. I have that around here, somewhere, along with Katie Lied and Aja. Love me some Steely Dan!

ETA: Walter Becker passed away last September. He was 67 years old.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great grooves Suki - Tara however prefers the unsoothing sounds of neighbour's dog! I do think however that she might make more sense of Fagan's lyrics than I ever could.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

If you can experience the horse - wow. What a gift. I was fortunate to spend my lifetime with this magnificent animal
Old 04-18-2018, 10:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi I have an 11 year old black lab he's been with me all his life. What a gift he is, my son adores him too.
The dog is a sensitive sentient being he knows more about me than I know!!
Thanks for putting this up!
Best to you and 4 legged friend!
G
Old 04-18-2018, 11:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
Kid Charlemagne!!! One of my all-time Steely Dan songs. I think it was on the Royal Scam album. I have that around here, somewhere, along with Katie Lied and Aja. Love me some Steely Dan!

ETA: Walter Becker passed away last September. He was 67 years old.
Saw them a number of times in their later years, including Coachella 2015 (all the parents and grandparents were at that set...and we all knew every word).

Kid Charlemagne is about "Bear" Owsley Stanley, the biggest and best manufacturer of LSD in the late 60s. In a bit of counterprogramming, I read his biography whilst in rehab.

The Story of the Lyrics of Steely Dan?s ?Kid Charlemagne? ? Yacht Rock

My dog did not leave my side, attached at the hip, when I nearly drank myself to death last year. He knew something was MASSIVELY wrong with Daddy. He is a rottie and I bought him as a puppy, met him when he was a day old. Otto is my bestest friend. The hardest part about rehab was leaving him for 5 weeks. He hasn't really left my side since I got back either. We both live with two roommates and their dachshund, Heaven, who is a demanding little bitch but an oh-so-loveable character. They are the same color, she is 11 pounds, he's 120.

Cats are interesting creatures, but they are a-holes.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks Ghoster and Mindful - great posts in their own rights.
Dont suppose dogs and Steely Dan get much of a look in on SR .
I must see if I can sneak any other worthy side projects into the system 🤡🤡🤡
Have a great weekend!
Dave 🤠