Notices

Back again - will try again ..harder.

Old 04-16-2018, 04:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back again - will try again ..harder.

Im a 2-3 day a week binge drinker. Im a 'Mommy who drinks wine'. Ive known my drinking is a problem for years but get sucked back into it as it is portrayed as so normal. But i know its not. I rarely drink for social reasons. Almost always by myself, usually out of habit, boredom or to temporarily relieve stress/anxiety.
Weekend rolls around and i feel like i deserve it .. to unwind. Problem is I dont drink healthy moderate amounts. I get drunk.
So im back. Im sure the question will be what are you going to do differently this time? I dont know, I dont have all the answers right now in this moment but I wanted to post and start from there. Thanks
Old 04-16-2018, 04:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome back! The trick is to relief your anxiety and stress in different ways! Exercise or maybe even talking to your doctor. Self care is so important.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

glad ya made it back,mandy. something to consider:
...get sucked back into it as it is portrayed as so normal.
who portrays it as so normal? certainly not people in recovery or people that dont drink.
even then, we dont have to believe what others believe.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I guess what I was referring to was media. Women drinking copious amount of wine on tv are not in short supply. Your Olivia Popes , Claire Dumphy's or the Bad Moms just as examples off the top of my head. Also on social media, inundated daily wth memes and/or user posts regarding drinking. It gives the sense that oh well everyone is engaging in this behaviour it really can't be that harmful. Yes, I know it's clearly NOT everyone. I would like to get to the other side of this where I don't feel like I need to have it in my life. It's not helping or enhancing, it's sucking.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I hear ya about that portrayal. Makes you feel like you aren’t so bad or that being a drunk is okay. Everyone’s doing it, right? It’s just a misery loves company thing, I suppose. Being healthy and happy would seem to be a better option.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Glad you're back.

I totally agree that the Mommy/Single Girl/etc chick is a common staple on TV/the celluloid world (and those memes....ick, now).

I had to decide that I wanted to be sober more than I wanted to drink. Period.

After that, my program became a dedicated AA one. Nothing is worth my sobriety now, no who/what/when/where/why....

Hope you will take advantage of the support here and also IRL. Best to you.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You can only control yourself, Mandy.

Everyone doesn't drink.

Olivia Pope is never portrayed drunk. Now, Mellie...

There is also a lot of violence on TV. Have you been shooting up the neighborhood? Of course not.

If drinking is a problem, stopping is the solution right?
Old 04-16-2018, 07:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wine.

I wonder if it were only sold in medical clinics by stern men and women in sterile white coats, and came in medical-type containers with lots of disturbing fine print, was consumed in front of said dispensers in plastic measuring cups that were quickly disposed of while you sat in the waiting room with all the other patients until the desired effect had occurred...
Old 04-16-2018, 09:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome back, Mandy. Drinking is definitely portrayed as 'normal' and socially acceptable in the media, and how cute--mommy needs a little wine to relax from the rugrats. Beer is a staple at sporting events, and advertising for booze is always present.
I never drank for social reasons, either--it was always at home, undercover for a very long time until it became obvious to others that I had a big problem.
SR is a great place for advice and help from people who really understand; it has been a huge help in my 27 months of sobriety. Wishing you all the best.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mandy73 View Post
. Your Olivia Popes , Claire Dumphy's or the Bad Moms just as examples off the top of my head. .
fictional characters on tv shows i assume?
Old 04-16-2018, 05:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

OMG! Yes, they make it look like so much fun! Mommy needs her chardonnay. They make it all look so fun and social! I completely understand what you are saying!
Old 04-16-2018, 05:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're back, Mandy.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm glad to see you too, Mandy. Wish I had taken action back when I saw the warning signs.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I hear ya! For me it started when kids were just toddlers. My 2 nights of "relaxing" turned into needing it to relax almost every night. I have worked from home office since 1st was born and I was insistent on being Super Mom, Super Employee and almost Super Wife. Juggling babies/toddlers/kids home all day with a full time job....it burnt me out. The only way I knew to shut my brain off was to drink it to sleep. I have been working on new ways to reward myself and develop better ways to relax that don't result in me waking to a horrendous hangover to manage along with all of these other pieces of my life. I have really been getting alot out of this site, as well as counseling. Good luck!