Notices

Day 2 and I always wonder

Old 04-15-2018, 09:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2 and I always wonder

What do I do when I'm drinking that has me feeling like I got hit by a Mack Truck. I am sore all over and feel like I have whip lash. I think I feel worse today than I did yesterday... This is so ridiculous. Just another of the many reasons I have to make staying sober stick. 😳🚛
Old 04-15-2018, 09:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hang tough KG! It will get better.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know ☺ I drank after 60 great days. Thought I could moderate. That was stupid. The switch doesn't flip after 30 or 60 days... or ever. I have to remember that when I start feeling better. I need to remember that I don't want to feel THIS way ever again. I wonder why it's so easy to forget, or minimize how the first few days feel.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KG77 View Post
I have to remember that when I start feeling better. I need to remember that I don't want to feel THIS way ever again. I wonder why it's so easy to forget, or minimize how the first few days feel.
Write down everything that you are feeling, and all that alcohol does which is makes you feel like complete garbage. This will be useful in the future to "play the tape forward" and reflect back on exactly what will happen (and possibly worse) if you decide to do something stupid.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sound advice Forward12. And I'm taking it.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's not too far off the mark to say we poison ourselves by drinking the way we do - thats what the word intoxicate originally meant :

Late Middle English (in the sense ‘poison’): from medieval Latin intoxicare, from in- ‘into’ + toxicare ‘to poison’, from Latin toxicum (see toxic).
It takes a while for our mind and body to get back to normal, and the more years we drink, generally the longer and more vicious withdrawal can be.

Look up 'alcoholic kindling'.

D
Old 04-16-2018, 07:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KG77 View Post
I know ☺ I drank after 60 great days. Thought I could moderate. That was stupid. The switch doesn't flip after 30 or 60 days... or ever. I have to remember that when I start feeling better. I need to remember that I don't want to feel THIS way ever again. I wonder why it's so easy to forget, or minimize how the first few days feel.
Well said. I myself feel in a current spin cycle where it takes an embarrassing or rotten consequence from a drunken night happening to motivate me to stop. Then when I start to feel a little better I lose my foothold. I think this is why it’s so important to not only eliminate the alcohol but add new beneficial habits/hobbies. The alcohol brain pattern is a deep groove that needs to be replaced by new brain patterns. I think most of us expect to feel better after a short time in the early days. But if you think about it, we started drinking excessively for whatever emotional reasons and then the disease takes on a life of its own creating a whole new layer of emotional pain and consequences to attend with. It’s a very layered process and each layer peeled back brings its great things and very difficult things. It’s so helpful to read people’s experiences, advice and feel the empathy on this blog.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad to see you back, KG77!

Can you add something to your recovery program to help you avoid relapse in the future?