Notices

Day - 38. First post after lurking!!

Old 03-28-2018, 04:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day - 38. First post after lurking!!

Long time listener, fist timer caller....

Quick background on my situation:

*20 years heavy drinking both as a coping mechanism and for 'enjoyment' (as in, I actually really enjoyed beer- the taste, brewing aspect and variances etc).

After a pretty heavy ~6 months of binging, things started to unravel very quickly including several health related issues.

Day 38 clean today (Community based). I could write a novel on the last 38 as I am sure most could. Main query now is regarding moving forward with my anxiety. Just stopped Antabure due to a major skin flare up (just my luck), on sertraline, propranalol and just been started on buspirone.... not finding this combo effective as I hoped. Am very motivated and would like to hear others' experiences. Benzo's are a dirty word in our Local DHB. Life is very good, different but very good. I feel if I could knock the edge off this anxiety, life would be fantastic!

Regards
Old 03-28-2018, 05:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome to SR! 38 days is fantastic. Exercise works for me for anxiety. Best of luck with yours.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome porcetta

D
Old 03-28-2018, 06:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It took me a lot longer than 38 days for that anxious energy to go away. It was nearly a year before I stopped having episodes of anxiety that just came on for no reason. Hang on, it gets better - just not as quickly as you might like.

I agree that if it is overwhelming and acute that a short burst of fast movement helps immediately. So like two minutes of jumping jacks, or squats, or running in place or even just air-boxing worked for me.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Do you do yoga? Meditation? Those help me.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Midwest1981 View Post
welcome to SR! 38 days is fantastic. Exercise works for me for anxiety. Best of luck with yours.
Thank you.
Removing the alcohol (which multiple medical staff said may decrease it dramatically) has been no magic fix.

It's been mentioned I have agoraphobia so it's at least nice to have it acknowledged.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the posting side of SR!