Reading Old Threads

Old 03-12-2018, 09:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Reading Old Threads

For newbies.......or, anyone who wants to read their , or, anyone else's older threads......

Go the the name, on the lift hand side, and click on it....then, select "previous threads", from the drop-down tab....

This is an excellent way to gauge your own progress and to see what the journey of others looks like!
Old 03-12-2018, 10:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

dandy speaks the truth, friends and neighbors--it can be a real revelation to read through your old threads! I do it every so often. Some of it makes me cringe, some of it makes me want to take that confused and frightened person and wrap her in a blankie and give her some tea, some of it makes me want to whack her w/a 2 by 4 to get her to wake up...

And it is always enlightening to see the places where great progress has been made and the other places where I still seem to be circling, circling, and not getting far.

In addition, I always find that re-reading what people had to say to me at that time is very valuable. I don't think I ever look at an old thread w/o understanding some part of it in a new or deeper or different way. This thread, "Spirals of Learning", touches on that: https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-learning.html (Spirals of Learning)

I'm so glad that SR archives our threads so that we have this opportunity to look back w/new knowledge, new experience, new perspective.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reminder about that thread honeypig - it wasn't posted all that long ago but I STILL got something new out of it today.

To the OP - this is my absolute favorite resource at SR... the ability to review my own progress (or lack of). It's also a tool that keeps me in check & walking my talk - if I read an opinion of mine that is in conflict with the way I'm living somehow, it's a wakeup call like nothing else.

I also like being able to isolate a single poster & read their "story" or trace back through their shares after they're gone & no longer posting. (I search out m1k3 & stung's posts all the time because they raised thought provoking questions a lot of the time.... titanic shared a lot of great resources & englishgarden's posts/blogs are sort of unparalleled on these forums....)

SR is a very, very extensive resource if you USE it. Thanks for this post dandy, great reminder!
Old 03-15-2018, 09:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am crying with laughing at how naive and just plain stupid I was. My threads read like I actually believed exah rubbish so I must have done. I am also amazed at things I thought would matter to me actually don't now. Things I thought I wanted I actually didn't. It's like reading about someone else.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ladybird579 View Post
I am also amazed at things I thought would matter to me actually don't now. Things I thought I wanted I actually didn't. It's like reading about someone else.
Isn't it the truth, though? It sure gives some perspective to all my current daily concerns...
Old 03-15-2018, 11:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was just doing that last night. It really helps to see there is progress, even if you think there's none.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Bump^^^^^^