Boyfriend Suboxone Withdrawl - Relationship in Turmoil

Old 03-08-2018, 10:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Boyfriend Suboxone Withdrawl - Relationship in Turmoil

Hi everyone,

First time post and very much out of my element but feeling alone and defeated.

My boyfriend of almost a year has a history of heavy opiate abuse. About 4 months before we met he got into a suboxone clinic and eventually a prescription. Over the past few months he has been trying to quit. All I want is to be there for him but he has grown so distant and cold. Intimacy is completely out of the question. No matter what approach I take he doesn’t feel supported by me. Any issue in this busy life of ours is seen as me adding more stress to his and not being supportive of his recovery. I know he has started to turn to other females for support and is opening up to them. Nothing I would consider crossing the line but he is definitely seeking something. This hurts the most and I just wish he could do the same with me. Currently his plan is to withdrawal for as long as he can go and then take a tiny bit of a sub when he can’t take it anymore or to sleep, which has gone on for 2 months now. Moods are unpredictable, I never know if he is in full withdrawl or not.

I know that this will pass and I want to weather the storm with him. I want to be his person he goes to and the one to help him get through this but instead I feel like an outsider.

I feel selfish for not being able to just go with the flow (I’m a planner and like to lead and he is a free spirit) and of course any attempt to address these things are seen as me making it about myself.

Not sure what exactly I am looking for advise wise but any help is appreciated. Or any one going through a similar situation.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi CG

Let me say that I am sorry for what you are experiencing with your BF. You are not alone here.

You said that your BF has a history of heavy opiate abuse. So he is an addict.

You next said about 4 months before you met he got into a suboxone clinic. However two months ago he has been trying to quit.

Your description of him cold turkey withdrawing does not sound like any form of medically supervised taper off of subs. It sounds risky to me.

Achieving sobriety in the short run is one thing, however recovery from a history of heavy opiate abuse will unfortunately be a life long commitment. Weathering the storm of withdrawals in the short run is only the tip of an iceberg. He will need a very serious plan in place to achieve recovery.

Please educate yourself concerning opiate addiction. From what you wrote it does not sound to me as if he is choosing recovery. It does appear- you have your hands full.

I wish you all the best.