Notices

Dying.....

Old 02-12-2018, 04:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dying.....

My husbands mom and step dad. They are dying. Both due to alcohol related health issues. And both at the same exact time. I wouldn’t doubt they are both gone in the next month. And it sucks. They are such good people. Great people. But career alcoholics. And it sucks. So what does my husband ask me to do with him? Get drunk (which is very unlike him)! So we did. Last night we drank beer like... well like there’s not tomorrow. And I want to talk to him today about never drinking again. Because the way his mom looks? It scares the **** out of me.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by slipnslide View Post
And I want to talk to him today about never drinking again.
An overdue conversation if you haven't had this talk already. So talk about today, and commit to it, or else you'll be using their funeral as the reason you drank.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Please, talk to him. This thing called alcoholism is a killer that wants us dead. Everything you've heard about it true, it's a liar, it's cunning, and it's very, very patient. I'm very sorry about your husbands parents; alcoholism doesn't discriminate. It kills the good, and the not so good alike, young and old. Have the conversation, it might be easier and go better than you expect, in light of the dire situation you find yourselves in. Good luck to you and your family.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I just checked on him. And he looked at my and said “we shouldn’t have drank” and I looked back and said “you’re right. But now we know. That isn’t a way to deal with you mom dying”. And we hugged. And he went back to sleep. My husband understands alcoholism. He was raised by alcoholics. He spent some time abusing alcohol when he got home from Iraq. To drown the dreams. To silence his demons. And I can count on one hand how many times I’ve seen him drunk. *I* am the one who has binge drinking issues. Not him. So it was scary to see him want to do that. ESPECIALLY after seeing his mom’s destroyed body. So sad. Alcohol sucks.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm so glad to hear this slipnslide. You both know, and are aware of the danger of alcoholism. I nearly drank myself to death, and was too drunk to fully appreciate what the h*** I was doing. You both sound young enuf to nip this thing in the bud. Good luck to you and your family; I am so truly sorry about your in laws, such an indescribable hurt to have to endure, for everyone. God Bless them, and you.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

slipnslide, thanks for coming here to share you story. Alcohol is just a life robbing substance. There are so many casualties. Hang in there.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Are you likely to drink on a daily basis, do you already? If so this could be a wake up call.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds like you've come to a cross roads and are choosing the right road slipnslide - welcome back

D
Old 02-12-2018, 03:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sure seems like this is a good time for you to stop drinking. I'm sorry about your in-laws.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are you slipnslide?

D