Notices

Bloating without alcohol

Old 02-03-2018, 10:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bloating without alcohol

Hi, I have been drinking on and off for about 20 years, daily for the last 3. I have recently cut back to about 3 times per week with less alcohol per drinking episode. The problem is that I have extreme fluid retention in my whole body. The only time it goes away is the day after I drink, when I'm dehydrated. I'm a Nurse and am very aware that I may have a medical issue that is being masked by alcohol. But, I'm wondering if maybe my body is retaining fluid because I was dehydrated everyday for so long that it "forgot" how to handle fluids. I read one post on another forum a while back where someone said that they felt that was the case and that it improved within a month or two, but it doesn't seem common from what I have read. I have only read old forums. This is the first one that I have ever joined. Has anyone had this experience?
Old 02-03-2018, 10:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no experience to share at all but I wanted to welcome you lapatrick - good to have you here

D
Old 02-04-2018, 12:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Mr

Welcome Patrick.
Hope you are ready to get sober.
This place can really help.

Fluid retention remedies include seriously cutting out salt and drinking water water water....

V.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR!

Interesting issue. What happens when you go 90 days without alcohol?
Old 02-04-2018, 02:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, I was underweight AND bloated toward the end. You're a nurse- sounds like you would have access to a dr for a consult?

IME, quitting was the only way to get the variable of alcohol out of all physical equations as to what my body looked, felt like and how it operated.
Old 02-04-2018, 02:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome lapatrick
I had quite a bit of water retention on my face and tummy area, I was advised to cut out alcohol, caffeine, salt and drink lots and lots and lots of water , I can see a slight improvement after a couple of weeks.

I wish you well
Keep us updated 😁
Old 02-04-2018, 02:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had bloating problems too.

I found as I built my sober time, it balanced itself out. As August mentioned, I was thin yet bloated.

My body has completely changed shape. Eating healthily helps very much too, of course.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
G-Woman

I used to have huge issues with bloating too. I'm a tiny person, yet the size of my stomach made things very uncomfortable for me.

First I cut out the booze, and then I cut out a lot of processed foods (which contained large amounts of salt). Problem solved.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Patrick; very glad that you found us.

I don't have any bloating experience to share but can say that eliminating alcohol from my life had more positive effects than I can count.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hiya, I know we are not supposed to give out medical advice here but hopefully this is ok.

I read somewhere that the bloating is actually because of being dehydrated. That the body hold onto what water it can to store it for further use. That the way to reduce it is to drink plenty of water to send the signal that there is no need to store it as it is in plentiful supply. No idea if that is true or not but it makes sense to me. If you are still drinking three times each week the body is not getting a clear message and will probably store it.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I know I bloat every time I drink - for 3 or 4 days after.