Notices

Everyone is having "fun", but not you...

Old 02-03-2018, 08:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Everyone is having "fun", but not you...

Everyone else's fun seems to involve alcohol, so I feel like it makes it that much harder.

Anyone else feel this way?
Old 02-03-2018, 08:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yup
Old 02-03-2018, 08:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No. For me, alcohol had long stopped being fun. Sober, I get to actually DO stuff not just figure out when, how much, etc I can drink.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Not anymore! I may not be having "fun" but I'm also not having hangovers and regret. I missed drinking early in my recovery, but the longer I was sober, the less I missed it, til one day I realized I wasn't thinking about it at all.

Stay sober and the day will come when you don't miss it. Also, practicing gratitude every day helps you feel better and strengthens your sobriety.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I stopped having "fun" or even enjoying drinking. To me now, it sucks! I don't judge people that drink,but when I see someone making an ass out of themselves I just cringe thinking 'that used to be me'. I look at it like I grew up and have better stuff to do.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

No.

I didn't drink socially. I drank for release, escape. Used to see it as a reward, until it began destroying my life.

Now I actually can go out and enjoy life, which stopped as my drinking took over.

Doesn't matter to me if "everyone else" is drinking. I already had enough for a few lifetimes and then some. I now have people in my life who don't need alcohol to have fun. Some are normal drinkers, and it doesn't bother me at all if they want to drink around me.

Those who can't have fun without it, to be honest I kinda feel pity for them.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah, back when drinking was "fun;" boy, that seems like a really long time ago.

I hope you can find the real benefits of sobriety before your drinking becomes the agonizing, soul-crushing affliction many of us experienced. It was the polar opposite of fun...
Old 02-03-2018, 09:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Pretty much and it's just *** k. I don't know what to say....fixed the drug problem yourself and got tired of that...but the drunk problem that lingers.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I did until I found friends for whom the common bond wasn't drinking.

I found most folks don't drink anything near what me and my drinking buds did?

D
Old 02-03-2018, 10:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

No I don't feel like everyone else is having fun but me when I am not drinking at a party, club or any social situation.

First of all I don't give a **** what everyone is else doing and I don't care what someone thinks of me period. But I especially don't care what someone thinks of me not drinking. I used to drink before to 'fit in' and when I started having problems all the people I was drinking with to fit in with were no where to be found.

Second, personally, I have more fun sober. I can't control what I am doing when I am drunk. I also can't control how much I drink. Every time I drink I want to drink until I pass out. I hate that. Sober, I can party till with friends and I'll remember the whole night and not regret my actions. I love being in complete control over actions and then being able to wake up in the morning with no hangover and hit the gym or work on my business while everyone is sleeping.

At first I admit I was a little uncomfortable but anything you haven't done in a long time is like that but once you get used to it is great.

So I love being sober in all circumstances and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

See I'm opposite Hate your Sober Self. Just want drown out drunk and end it...Tried to ******* end it dude eat a bunch a ******* Pills and hope you don't wake up the Next day stuff.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

if you or anyone else is consistently experiencing that level of self hatred there are numbers you can call jspinks:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ease-read.html

D
Old 02-04-2018, 02:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

No.

My job - since I quit and increasingly now, from an emotionally sober vantage point- is to focus on the fun I have in life. Mine just doesn't include alcohol. Others' "fun" (real or their own supposed version) might.

I don't associate with people whose "fun" consists of heavy drinking. I don't find THAT fun for me.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by YCDT View Post
Everyone else's fun seems to involve alcohol, so I feel like it makes it that much harder.

Anyone else feel this way?
Crazy isn't it. Our society is so programmed to believe that a class 1 carcinogen, and an incredibly addictive and dangerous one at that, is so much 'fun'. I totally get it. I bought into it lock stock and barrel.

But is MY drinking fun? Doesn't really matter what other people's drinking 'looks' like, is MY drinking FUN? He!! no. The subconscious programming of my brain is very powerful, and it took years of conditioning to get me where I am. I have to tell myself, emphatically, that alcohol is not fun for ME. Period.

I was watching a show on Netflix...it was a travel, cooking documentary on Australia. I looked up from my knitting at one point and my big screen is filled with an outdoor scene of just the wine glass, golden chardonnay sparkling in the sun as it is swirled in the glass. I had to laugh. The last time I drink chardonnay it was from a box. Laying in bed...sheets soaked with the chardonnay that I kept throwing up. Thank god I hadn't eaten in days. Yeah, I know, that's really disgusting. But that's the truth. I can still taste and feel that whole picture. Oh gawd.

That is MY truth. That was decidedly not fun.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Alcohol stopped being fun for me.

I see my husband still heavily drinking, doesn't look like he is having fun.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

That's the perception, but it's really all in your head. You had fun before you started drinking, right? Basically, through this habit, we form subliminal associations. We're out having a good time with friends, but there are always drinks involved or it's at a bar, so we come to associate the good time with the drinks and the bar. We trick ourselves into thinking that good times cannot be had without those factors. Our version of "normal" is skewed in favor of those factors. It takes time, but the brain is very adaptable. A new normal emerges in sobriety and with it, an ability to have fun.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

No... They're doing what they're motivated to do or feels right/good for them at that point in time, and I am too.