Notices

Alcohol Withdrawal

Old 01-31-2018, 10:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol Withdrawal

Hi all,
Just signed up to the forum to get a little help.
I've been through alcohol withdrawal twice before and had it quiet bad (10 beers a day for multiple years) and managed to make it through but fell off the wagon again, I've managed to get down to 1 to 2 beers a day for the last few days but yesterday had a slip up and had 5 beers as withdrawals were getting to me.
I was wondering if anyone knows what happens if you have slip ups ? Do you have to start going through withdrawals again or am able to carry on with my tapering down ?

Thanks in advance, Chris
Old 01-31-2018, 10:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, Chrismuzz, to,SR. Very glad you found us.

Withdrawals can be quite serious and should not be taken lightly, as you already know from personal experience.

Why not go to the ER (or see if you can get in to see your doctor today) for a medically supervised detox?

Stay close. We care.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR Chris. For most folks, withdrawals don't start until you actually stop drinking completely, but in advanced stages WD's can even start when you cut back your consumption too - which seems to be the case for you maybe if you are already having symptoms while still drinking "1 or 2" a day?

For the most part, withdrawals don't get better - they generally get worse each time. And returning to binge drinking levels can "reset" the clock so to speak.

Tapering is an exhausting exercise that is rarely successful - and since you are already having WD's before you even got to zero, I'd highly recommend speaking with a doctor or a detox facility to make sure you do it safely.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for the quick reply'S

I was drinking my usual 10 beers a day and cut right down to the bare minimum I could manage and on the 72 hour mark that's when the withdrawals kicked in so I caved. When I try to get a doctors appointment I usually have to wait a couple of weeks to see someone and I was hoping to be through this before then.
I've been prescribed lorazepam for anxiety in the past and stopped taking them so I have some left over, do you know if they will help at all as they are a benzodiazepine?

Thanks in advance, Chris
Old 01-31-2018, 10:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Chrismuzz103 View Post
I've been prescribed lorazepam for anxiety in the past and stopped taking them so I have some left over, do you know if they will help at all as they are a benzodiazepine?
You really need to a doctor about that Chris, we cannot give medical advice here. If you can't get into see your regular doctor, you could always try urgent care or even the ER. If you are experiencing withdrawals even while cutting back, that's a pretty good indication that you've got some serious physical dependance going on.

Benzo's are potentially a very dangerous and equally addictive substance, especially for those who have alcohol issues. If you did not let whomever prescribed them know that you are a heavy drinker, you need to let them know ASAP. Mixing benzos and alcohol is very dangerous/potentially fatal situation.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Didn't realise that mixing benzodiazepines and alcohol was dangerous so thank you for the warning there, I'll see how I get on tonight and if the symptoms get any worse then I'll go straight to the ER

Thank you for the advice, Chris
Old 01-31-2018, 11:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

You can go to the ER when it becomes unbearable instead of drinking. Then you can totally detox and begin recovery. It is safer to seek medical help. Smarter, too.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Chrismuzz,

I swallowed my pride once, went to the ER and told them flat out I was going through alcohol withdrawal -- they gave me an IV for hydration, something for my blood pressure, and a presription Valium (maybe it was Librium) and sent me on my way. I followed the instructions with the benzo prescription. It wasn't so bad.

Unfortunately I resumed drinking later. It took several tries (and several horrific withdrawal episodes, including seizures) for me to get sober for good. If I would have stayed quit after that first ER visit, my path would have been much easier.

The good news is that you don't have to go through all that if you don't want to...
Old 01-31-2018, 12:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Didn't realise that mixing benzodiazepines and alcohol was dangerous so thank you for the warning there, I'll see how I get on tonight and if the symptoms get any worse then I'll go straight to the ER

Please don't take any chances, Chris.

Again, very glad you are with this caring community.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad to hear it, hope you are feeling OK and definitely welcome to the community.

Benzo's actually behave a lot like alcohol inside your brain, that's why they are sometimes prescribed by doctors during withdrawals ( in a supervised fashion ) to prevent bad symptoms. But the flip side is that they can be just as addictive, or even more so than the alcohol itself for some. And the withdrawals from benzo's can be horrific.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sometimes a call to a family doctor will "free up" time on the calendar your family doctor keeps for emergency cases. Complications from alcohol withdrawal meets that criteria. I'd encourage you to call back and tell the staff who answers why you are making the appointment and your current symptoms.

You might just be told to go to urgent care or the ER for it. Or, you might get on the doc's calendar more quickly. You won't know unless you try, right?

Yeah, don't just run off and take a benzo from a previous Rx. There are other health concerns from heavy drinking that might need to be addressed that a benzo won't remedy.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Chrissmuss

D
Old 01-31-2018, 04:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome, Chris. I understand how hellish withdrawals can be. In November 2011 I quit all at once from a habit much like yours--8--12 beers a night for several years--and after 12 hours went into full-blown alcoholic hallucinosis. I caved after 4 days of terror and then limped along with drinking for another month in a pretty much psychotic state until I got that moment of clarity and checked into detox; I had a seizure there and spent a week in the hospital on an IV and Ativan before going to rehab right afterwards.
I was very resistant about the idea of rehab but it turned out to definitely be the right choice.
Perhaps you can look into local detox centers in your area, or at least get medical help as you work through this. I nearly died from withdrawals; they are nothing to take lightly. I send my best wishes that you have as comfortable an experience as possible. You can do this, but please do get help.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you for the quick reply'S

I was drinking my usual 10 beers a day and cut right down to the bare minimum I could manage and on the 72 hour mark that's when the withdrawals kicked in so I caved. When I try to get a doctors appointment I usually have to wait a couple of weeks to see someone and I was hoping to be through this before then.

Thanks in advance, Chris
The 3 day mark is very common when the AV goes nuts telling you it's ok to drinking again after the fog of hell has cleared. It isn't.
Finding a solid way to recovery is the best option. AA, an addiction therapist, calling an addiction center,.. The support options are endless!
Best of luck to you!