We cashed in beer cans on our anniversary

Old 01-29-2018, 02:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

We cashed in beer cans on our anniversary

Yep. We needed money to buy wood, so we cashed in the beer cans he had saved for a while (he is legally blind and can't drive, and we needed wood which is the only reason I did it) Eighty pounds of beer cans. All I saw was hundreds of dollars wasted to destroy a relationship. And we got $35. I don't think he even realized the irony. He said happy anniversary this morning, I had forgotten it was the 29th. All I said was that.
As I've learned from so many of you, I can't do anything about what he does, so I'm going to take care of me. Im taking my trusty sidekick Mastiff, named Piper, and we are going to the river. I will have a good cry, then write him a letter that I may or may not give to him. Then I'm going to Starbucks and get my favorite coffee, and the biggest size they have. And I'm using the rest of the money from the beer cans to buy it! I feel better already. Hugs and love to all of you going on this journey that we never wanted.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Wamama....I think your plan is a lovely one, all around!! I just know that Piper understands....what a good friend to lean on....(or, since he is a mastiff--to lean on you...lol).....
Old 01-29-2018, 03:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

must have been the 10th anniversary? isn't that Aluminum?

sorry, that is truly poor form on my part, just where my mind goes.

i do think tho, there is definitely some very REAL symbolism here. Signs from the Universe.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It was a good break. Ive learned so much in this past week about myself,
more than I have in many years! Yes Piper is a good friend.
She drives me crazy with having to be within 0-6 inches of me at all times. Thats why Mastiffs have the nickname "Velcro Dogs".

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
Wamama....I think your plan is a lovely one, all around!! I just know that Piper understands....what a good friend to lean on....(or, since he is a mastiff--to lean on you...lol).....
Old 01-29-2018, 06:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh my gosh, you are right, aluminum is the traditional 10th anniversary gift. But its 19 years. Please fill me in on the symbolism that I seem to be in denial about.

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
must have been the 10th anniversary? isn't that Aluminum?

sorry, that is truly poor form on my part, just where my mind goes.

i do think tho, there is definitely some very REAL symbolism here. Signs from the Universe.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

How bloody ROMANTIC! I'm almost swooning here.

For our 20th anniversary my XAH got the sack (again). I was beyond thrilled and happy as you could well imagine...
Old 01-29-2018, 09:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Having a dog friend is so important, and I'm glad you have one, Wama. Things would have been so much harder and sadder w/o my handsome basset, Ned, (my avatar), and my little Demon Terrier, Daisy.

I wish they could meet your big Piper!

You are in a hard, hard place right now, but you'll make it through.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

😂
Originally Posted by lllisa View Post
how bloody romantic! I'm almost swooning here.

For our 20th anniversary my xah got the sack (again). I was beyond thrilled and happy as you could well imagine...
Old 01-30-2018, 12:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes,
dogs are unconditional in their acceptance of us. Unlike cats, who live to be served. I still love them though. Tell Ned and Demon hello and they are good dogs. 😍
Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
Having a dog friend is so important, and I'm glad you have one, Wama. Things would have been so much harder and sadder w/o my handsome basset, Ned, (my avatar), and my little Demon Terrier, Daisy.

I wish they could meet your big Piper!

You are in a hard, hard place right now, but you'll make it through.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wishing you only good things
Love from UK x
Old 01-30-2018, 05:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

So happy that you have a puppy dog to help you get through! I have three dogs and don’t know what I would do without them while going through all of this with my AH... they are so wonderful. Peace to you and sounds like you had a relaxing peaceful day anyway...
Old 01-30-2018, 06:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sending you many hugs!
Old 01-30-2018, 07:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It is funny about the $$$ wasted and then what little you got in return!

We are finally getting the bills for the detox treatment and rehab from our insurance companies... I would say this time my wife blew about $5k on her habit (that might be underestimated, but she has not given me a good number). So far, detox $3k out-of-pocket ($33k to the insurance company), rehab... $9k out-of-pocket (unknown insurance cost yet), IOP, $1k. We have maxed out our insurance out-of-pocket, so most of everything else is covered... but I am sure the cost by time all this is done for the year will be well in excess of $100k for the insurance company. And then more each year thereafter for therapy.

The costs of addiction are staggering... the upfront costs during, the aftermath costs afterwards, the ongoing costs, and the emotional costs...

T
Old 01-30-2018, 07:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

100k?!
That's a huge down payment on a house, or tuition to a darn good college. It is depressing, and infuriating. The emotional toll is the worst, you can't put a price tag on that one though.
Originally Posted by Spence7471 View Post
It is funny about the $$$ wasted and then what little you got in return!

We are finally getting the bills for the detox treatment and rehab from our insurance companies... I would say this time my wife blew about $5k on her habit (that might be underestimated, but she has not given me a good number). So far, detox $3k out-of-pocket ($33k to the insurance company), rehab... $9k out-of-pocket (unknown insurance cost yet), IOP, $1k. We have maxed out our insurance out-of-pocket, so most of everything else is covered... but I am sure the cost by time all this is done for the year will be well in excess of $100k for the insurance company. And then more each year thereafter for therapy.

The costs of addiction are staggering... the upfront costs during, the aftermath costs afterwards, the ongoing costs, and the emotional costs...

T
Old 01-31-2018, 07:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

"The emotional toll is the worst, you can't put a price tag on that one though. "

You are absolutely correct...