Notices

Starting over (again) at 50

Old 01-20-2018, 10:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting over (again) at 50

Hi all -

I originally joined in October last year. Did okay for a short time mostly due to several hospital visits. I drank daily for over 25 years. Never a binge drinker, but at least a 12 pack everyday with some hard stuff thrown in sometimes. However, when I received a possible diagnosis of a lung disease (not confirmed yet) and I had to quit my family business of almost 30 years (due to chemical exposure), I went off the deep end for 2 weeks at end of December and beginning of January, pretty much drinking all day for 2 weeks. Well, now I havent had a drink in 2 weeks. The 2 weeks I spent drinking werent fair to my girlfriend I live with or her children. In addition, I have an 18 year old son who lives with his mom but I have a great relationship with. So, I've finally come to realize that know matter what else might be wrong with me physically, drinking is not going to make it better. My girlfriend told me during those 2 weeks of feeling sorry for myself that if I dont wind up having a lung condition that is a death sentence, I was giving myself one by drinking....and she is right. So, I am going to see a gastro doctor Monday and lung doctor Wednesday and I'm going to face what they tell me sober. And who knows, hopefully this is the beginning of a new healthy life. Just want anyone around my age who wants to quit to know that its never too late. If I can do it, so can youl.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great post! Thanks for sharing.

I don't have the health problems, but I am over 50 and gave a good go at stopping drinking last year about this time. When I lost my job though, my I jumped back into drinking big time. So I can relate to much of what you've shared.

2 weeks is GREAT! I'm only on Day 9.

Good luck with your DR appointment Monday. Keep us informed, k?
Old 01-20-2018, 11:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Milly, I will. I am trying to stay positive about my doc visits next week. At least I have finally realized that drinking now wont make my results next week any better. We should stick together on this so we can be 50 and still going strong!
Old 01-20-2018, 11:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mr

Stick around the forums more this time reading and posting it really helps.
I cross my fingers that you get a clear bill of health and live 50 more sober years.

V.
41 and one month sober.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Vman, I will stay around this time. I need support from people like you. We all need each other to get thru this.