Notices

Used to Misery

Old 01-20-2018, 09:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Used to Misery

Anyone else feel like when they weren't sober and indulging in their addiction that they knew they could be happier? Even though I was miserable, I knew how to do it really well, but sober? ugh I'd have to completely learn how to do that lol
Old 01-20-2018, 09:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
under new management

Definitely found comfort in my misery because that was my life and that was my comfort zone.

Happiness??? I had to learn to accept that I deserve happiness, I am worthy of treating myself with love and respect. I am worth staying sober for. And, now, this new viewpoint is my comfort zone.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh yes Dude, being uncomfortable and unhappy at first, even scared is how I felt during withdrawal. I found telling myself something I read once during a bad breakup.

"When life puts you in tough situations don't say "Why Me?", say "Try Me."

These feelings are fleeting the more sober time you get. It's Ok to get out of our comfort zones or to scared, it means we're about to something really, really brave.
Keep posting.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I read somewhere about "The Kings Mirror". We get a few drinks in us and we reach that peak maybe 3-4 drinks in where we imagine ourselves doing all these great things, living sober, being productive, etc. We're going to work out, help people, and live a wonderful life. Then we get drunk.

The reality is we are wasting away and none of that can happen unless we stop drinking and put in some work. Alcohol is a cunning sob. All I know is in the 20 years I drank, I went hardly nowhere and I'm tired of the life in that mirror being merely a pipe dream.