Notices

New here

Old 01-18-2018, 12:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Far

New here

Hi I am new here. I have a friend who is an alcoholic. We have been friends for over 13 years,I moved overseas with my husband 6 years ago,but have maintained contact with my friend. Since moving overseas my friend and I grew closer and that’s when I could see how much the alcohol had changed his life

I have voiced my concerns to him several times,he just isn’t ready to listen. I don’t want him to loose hope.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you're going through this.

I'm afraid people with alcohol issues don't really want to hear it, they know themselves they have an issue. I would say that all you can do is gently mention things and just be there, unless of course you think he is in real danger?

There is a friends & family section on thus forum where you can read & post to get views from people in your situation, it is worth a look.

Take care x
Old 01-18-2018, 04:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Far

The bottom line for me was I didn't want to quit and nothing anyone could say or do made a difference to that until I was ready to change.

I'm sorry for the bleak picture but the good news is you'll find support here.

the other good news is that many people, like me, find a 'window of clarity' and turn things around

D
Old 01-18-2018, 05:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, I agree with Dee. I wouldn't listen to anyone until recently I finally hit my rock bottom and realized what I need to do. The important thing is just to be there for her. Let her know she has a friend.