AVRT easy or simple. word choice

Old 01-16-2018, 05:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AVRT easy or simple. word choice

I have read comments on here where someone would say AVRT is easy, it just is. and some of the comments are sometimes condescending when someone "relapses" and comes back here to share.
I believe it is a very simple idea, yes, but not as easy as some like to say. (not my beast talking here).
Once I understood AVRT, read the book, went through the crash course, I found AVRT to be as scientific as any program would ever wish to be.
the beast being the Midbrain, old neural pathways that need to be faded so new pathways would take over, the IT taking over where the I, ME knows damn well that I should not drink.
Having said that, is AVRT easy or simple to be able to keep mesober?
in my experience, I found it simple, made a lot of sense, but not as easy as some like to pretend.
they say all you have to do is recognize the AV, no meetings, no sponsors, nothing. don't even need to be on this forum for the rest of your life. You are cured.
Again, my experience, showed me that I need to be coming here, everyday, which I intend to do, to keep my memory fresh. to read over and over again about AVRT, because I have built in forgetters. This is the brain we are talking about here, brain chemicals sneak up on me, and they did a hell of a job messing my life up.
Now would the beast say that? or would it tell me, you made your Big Plan, don't worry about anything now, you are on safe ground?
Old 01-16-2018, 06:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Shakeel, I’m sorry that you’ve found some posts condescending, if any were mine, please accept my sincere apology.

I’ve always said that AVRT is simple, but not easy. I have an errand to run and need to give more thought to your great post, before responding substantively.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Welsh member.

I agree. So far not too easy ,but not too difficult tbh. Very simple though.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
quat

If you made your Big Plan, congratulations!

The Beast only ‘says’ “more drinks” ,IT doesn’t even say that really, IT is just the desire for alcohol, the rogue drive that instigates the AV to ‘say’ whatever it thinks will make you decide to take action to indulge ITs desire for booze.
In the frame of AVRT , that is not just a semantic difference. The AV is bark of the Beast and not the Beast itself. The dog , Beast, has no actual bite, no matter loud or ferocious the sound of the AV, yeah?
The Beast is powerless against a BP, because IT is a parasitical quadriplegic that cant indulge itself without your conscious action. IT can’t buy or pour a drink, IT has to get YOU to do that.
With a BP in place , you have put the Beast on notice that there is not one thing that would YOU decide to have more drinks.
The AV , any thought or image of future drinking and any doubt in your ability to remain abstinent is the bark of Beast and only appears to be You, yeah? Even the thoughts that make You feel that You will somehow be tricked into forgetting or going back on Your Big Plan.
The simple part is that the ‘fix’ is to recognize any doubt as AV and ignore it, separate from it. The doubt is a ruse, a trick , AV ,to allow for the option of more drinks that feed the Beast its precious stuff. Ignoring the doubt removes it illusory power.
Ignore any doubt , it doesn’t come from You, trust your Big Plan because that does.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

They're not pretending. It's really easy to stuff the Beast in a box and never drink again.

IF
your BeastTamer is in good working order. (Actually, I prefer to call it Beauty...because, you know...Beauty and the Beast...)

One assumption RR makes is that you don't have any mental disorders, head trauma, or chemical imbalances that make you prone to being impulsive and/or unreliable. How would a pathological liar do with a BP?

RR also takes no pretense that it is going to train your Beauty into being a better tamer of the Beast. Some of us need that, but RR isn't interested in helping the Beauty - only boxing the Beast. I was a bit annoyed about that when I first realized it, but now I rather prefer it. Our Beasts are very similar, but our Beauties are very different. Any program that promises it can fix everybody's Beauty is going to disappoint a great many people. (And they do. That's how most of us found this forum...) There's an individual path each of us must walk, it leads to a Happy Life. I needed to walk it sober, and all I needed to get sober was a Technique to Recognize my AV. That Happy Living part was up to me, and came later.

Best of Luck on Your Journey!
Old 01-16-2018, 10:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nonsensical nailed the AVRT post drinking!

The not easy part was, for me, pre Big Plan, in fully accepting and assimilating into every part of my Beauty being, that I no longer needed to, nor wanted to, nor longer desired to...drink! That was the hard bit.

Once my Beauty was thus empowered, pre Big Plan, then when I made my BP, the Beast was annihilated, because I employed the Addictive Voice Recognition Technique.

For me, the hard part, was deciding to not drink, forever, not one day at a time. After that, it was easy, particularly once neuro plasticity worked its reverse magic and overturned the previous neuro plasticity, that caused my addiction in the first place.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The Beast of Addiction - Sober Recovery Article

Received this article from Sober Recovery today, for those who missed it, I thought I’d copy it here, continuing on from the Beauty and Beast theme, Disempower the Beast by empowering the Beauty! Just need to add a Big Plan as a precursor.

The Three Signs the Beast of Addiction is Eating You Alive.

“Inside every human is an unrelenting battle of good versus evil. Before drugs and alcohol, a human has a more sufficient balance of natural chemicals in the brain to think rationally, logically, and has a greater ability to be aware of their motives for doing things. Once a human becomes an addict though, their “bad wolf” becomes a ferocious beast that is nearly impossible to tame.

A drink, hit or pill may at first be taken to experience some kind of pleasure with no harm intended to themselves or others. However, over time our brains will falsely tell us we need a substance to make us feel that way. Our bodily sensations and feelings will tell us the same thing and that is the lie that changes the inner struggle of bad into an entire evil takeover of our brains, bodies and spirits.

Addiction invites the monster within us to permanently reside because we have been feeding it for so long. Essentially, we become objects of its desires. Slowly, we become a shell of who we are—weakening our wills to appease an appetite that can never be satisfied. The beast destroys us by deceiving us into thinking “if only” we get that one thing to make us “feel” a certain way, then we will be better.

But beware, it’s all a lie.

One by one, the beast will rob you of everything you have. Here are some signs the beast of addiction is destroying you.

1. You’re losing your loved ones.

The beast of addiction doesn’t just affect ourselves. As we attempt to satisfy something that can’t ever feel truly full, we neglect relationships and responsibilities to serve a desire. It is the epitome of selfishness that will drive loved ones away, not because they don’t love us, but because they need to protect themselves from being hurt.

They will have to face the truth that until the addict stops feeding the monster within them, they are just a shell of themselves. Often we won’t realize the damage until we take the first steps towards starving our addiction because the beast distorts the reality of our actions and their consequences on those we love.

2. You feel depressed and hate yourself.

Ironically, the beast of addiction keeps us on a carousel of guilt, shame, fear, resentment, and hate. All of these feelings intensify with the use of drugs and alcohol so we rely even heavier on what is actually making us feel this way in the first place.

Until we look to our good wolf within us and become our own drug of choice (i.e. learning to solicit feelings of relief, joy, and peace without any substance) we are a slave to this beast which is killing everything we are from the inside out.

3. You won’t stop until you lose everything (even your life).

The beast of addiction does not relinquish with time. Instead, it grows stronger. There is no cure to the beast residing in us—no time, no drug, no therapy. Since we all have a bad wolf inside us, the only thing we can do is feed our goodness so we can make this wolf much more ferocious than the mighty beast we have created.

The first step to winning the fight against our beast of addiction is to make our minds up to stop our deadly patterns even when our bodies and minds say otherwise. We have to become masters of our wills minds, bodies, and emotions and that’s how the good wolf wins. Until we do that, we will be dangerously close to losing it all, if not death.

The Good Wolf is Stronger

Our habitual pattern keeps us enslaved to the perceived benefit of the substance we are using, and though our anxieties, fears, and bodily pains are temporarily quelled, we are destroying the good wolf that lives inside us.

The good news is our good wolf never leaves us. It remains within waiting to be fed so it can devour the beast who destroys all in its path. As long as you are human and alive, there is always hope. Make the choice to feed the good things, and be brave enough to ask for help to do so if you need it.

No matter what that beast of addiction has told us about ourselves or our character, no matter what it has robbed from us, the good wolf can tear that evil monster to pieces. All we have to do is feed it.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tatsy View Post
The Beast of Addiction - Sober Recovery Article

Received this article from Sober Recovery today, for those who missed it, I thought I’d copy it here, continuing on from the Beauty and Beast theme, Disempower the Beast by empowering the Beauty! Just need to add a Big Plan as a precursor.

The Three Signs the Beast of Addiction is Eating You Alive.

“Inside every human is an unrelenting battle of good versus evil. Before drugs and alcohol, a human has a more sufficient balance of natural chemicals in the brain to think rationally, logically, and has a greater ability to be aware of their motives for doing things. Once a human becomes an addict though, their “bad wolf” becomes a ferocious beast that is nearly impossible to tame.

A drink, hit or pill may at first be taken to experience some kind of pleasure with no harm intended to themselves or others. However, over time our brains will falsely tell us we need a substance to make us feel that way. Our bodily sensations and feelings will tell us the same thing and that is the lie that changes the inner struggle of bad into an entire evil takeover of our brains, bodies and spirits.

Addiction invites the monster within us to permanently reside because we have been feeding it for so long. Essentially, we become objects of its desires. Slowly, we become a shell of who we are—weakening our wills to appease an appetite that can never be satisfied. The beast destroys us by deceiving us into thinking “if only” we get that one thing to make us “feel” a certain way, then we will be better.

But beware, it’s all a lie.

One by one, the beast will rob you of everything you have. Here are some signs the beast of addiction is destroying you.

1. You’re losing your loved ones.

The beast of addiction doesn’t just affect ourselves. As we attempt to satisfy something that can’t ever feel truly full, we neglect relationships and responsibilities to serve a desire. It is the epitome of selfishness that will drive loved ones away, not because they don’t love us, but because they need to protect themselves from being hurt.

They will have to face the truth that until the addict stops feeding the monster within them, they are just a shell of themselves. Often we won’t realize the damage until we take the first steps towards starving our addiction because the beast distorts the reality of our actions and their consequences on those we love.

2. You feel depressed and hate yourself.

Ironically, the beast of addiction keeps us on a carousel of guilt, shame, fear, resentment, and hate. All of these feelings intensify with the use of drugs and alcohol so we rely even heavier on what is actually making us feel this way in the first place.

Until we look to our good wolf within us and become our own drug of choice (i.e. learning to solicit feelings of relief, joy, and peace without any substance) we are a slave to this beast which is killing everything we are from the inside out.

3. You won’t stop until you lose everything (even your life).

The beast of addiction does not relinquish with time. Instead, it grows stronger. There is no cure to the beast residing in us—no time, no drug, no therapy. Since we all have a bad wolf inside us, the only thing we can do is feed our goodness so we can make this wolf much more ferocious than the mighty beast we have created.

The first step to winning the fight against our beast of addiction is to make our minds up to stop our deadly patterns even when our bodies and minds say otherwise. We have to become masters of our wills minds, bodies, and emotions and that’s how the good wolf wins. Until we do that, we will be dangerously close to losing it all, if not death.

The Good Wolf is Stronger

Our habitual pattern keeps us enslaved to the perceived benefit of the substance we are using, and though our anxieties, fears, and bodily pains are temporarily quelled, we are destroying the good wolf that lives inside us.

The good news is our good wolf never leaves us. It remains within waiting to be fed so it can devour the beast who destroys all in its path. As long as you are human and alive, there is always hope. Make the choice to feed the good things, and be brave enough to ask for help to do so if you need it.

No matter what that beast of addiction has told us about ourselves or our character, no matter what it has robbed from us, the good wolf can tear that evil monster to pieces. All we have to do is feed it.
Funny thing is that I read the article on my phone while on a long distance trip today.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post

Ignore any doubt , it doesn’t come from You, trust your Big Plan because that does.
Yes, the doubt looms over me constantly because of past failures.
Good to "keep" remembering that the doubt comes from the beast as well.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My own experience is that, as we RR/AVRT Practitioners clock increasing amounts of Sober time [as in forever], we might come off as nonplussed, or glib. I'm speaking for myself, BTW.

Imagine some funny Movie Scene where someone is being pelted with Tennis Balls, or Baseballs out of some automated Pitching Machine. For me, that was the visual to represent Real World Challenges while I got my Sober Legs facile in what seems like a Drinking Universe. Unless that Universe just up and goes away, I had some fending off to do after 42 Years of increasingly-hard Drinking; despite my Big Plan being cemented in place with Titanium Rebar set into high strength Concrete. Every Sober Victory out in a sotted Society steeled me into knowing I was on the right path. My confidence via altered Behaviors had to catch up to my Sober competency; made possible by an unwavering Big Plan.

When it finally transitioned from simple to easy some time in and became The New Normal, Mindfulness and Serenity locked in.

So, if we here seem blase, I hope my thoughts above provide some possible explanation and Counsel. Vis-a-vis some agonizing daily struggle, there's no question that RR/AVRT was the correct, unwavering, least-stressful Sober Path for me.

'Time takes time...' ~ Boy George
Old 01-18-2018, 12:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Welsh member.

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post
.my Big Plan being cemented in place with Titanium Rebar set into high strength Concrete.
Never mind nonplussed or glib, some of 'us' are just plain funny.

So well said, Mesa Man.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Trohyn View Post
Never mind nonplussed or glib, some of 'us' are just plain funny.

So well said, Mesa Man.
I was 'surprised and confused' by MesaMan's use of 'nonplussed' because this is what I thought it meant. I consulted the dictionary and it seems in North American English a new use has developed recently meaning 'unperturbed', pretty much the opposite of its traditional meaning!

I feel more a lot more plussed now.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I apologize for skipping ahead and not reading all the responses.
But I just wanted to say this. It was NOT easy for me to quit drinking right out of the box. But I damn sure as hell made a commitment that I was never going to drink again. I was a very strong drinker for a very long time. It was like riding a bike with training wheels for 30+ years. I don't recall ever not having a beer in my hand while doing almost everything - outside of work. So I also needed some support, and I used this forum to help me get over the hump. I also did a 30 day rehab stint and attended meetings in the beginning - 90 days worth. But I had to get away from that because all that did was feed my beast. Did I use the AV recognition technique? Yes. But I also knew that I must take other actions to help me when I needed it. My beast was on steroids when I first quit. But after a few months he weakened a lot. And as time went on he became as quiet as a mouse and weaker than one.
Is it simple? Yep. Is it easy? That all depends on individual circumstances, easier for some than others. It would be wonderful if it was as simple as flicking a switch, but most of us know it isn't.