Notices

Support

Old 01-15-2018, 04:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Support

I have read posts on here where people trying very hard to turn their lives around have had no support from their closest friends and family. Ridiculed even and peer pressured (bullied) into submission.
I find this horrendous.
My heart goes out to them.
Me I'd face palm and ignore them. That's how serious this journey is.
I've been very lucky. Everyone has supported me, even those I thought would ridicule etc have surpassed my expectations. Taking my change of direction in their stride.
Support is one of the main factors in moving forwards positively.
Another diamond day today
I wish you all the best
Old 01-15-2018, 08:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah it is sad, but it's great that places like SR exist

D
Old 01-15-2018, 09:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you are doing so well! SR has been a great sense of support for me.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

In early sobriety I guess I had three types of people around me. The skeptics, mainly family, had little confidence I would succeed. hat hurt, but looking at my track record I couldn't blame them.

Then there were the alcohol afflicted and non friends who could not have cared less about me once I stopped drinking. Some were froemr work mates. At six weeks sober I was fired from my job, and all my belongings had been stolen from my locker. Who needs friends like that? At the time it was very hurtful, but then again I had been an egotistical clown in their presence on many occasions, so I couldn't blame them.

Then there were supportive people, my doctor, and the people I had met in AA. They encouraged me to take action on the program and spent time showing me what to do. Their example was something special, something i still carry with me.

The interesting thing was that none of those three groups had any power over my drinking. The negatives couldn't make me drink, and while the encouraging folks did their best to help, they lacked the power to keep me sober.

What kept me sober was following those few simple suggestions in the AA program. The action I took determined the outcome, not the action of others, that is, apart from the AA folk who knew precisely what action to suggest.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Mike for sharing that.
I go to a local recovery centre. It's as positive as this site and adopts the same rules. Like a home from home.
I was expecting more flak from drinking buddies but all of them have encouraged and supported.
Dave