Notices

Self improvement books and triggers

Old 01-13-2018, 10:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Self improvement books and triggers

Just wanted to say hello after a few years since i have joined this site. Back then I thought i was ready to quit, and got sorta serious about it. I bought a bunch of books on alcoholism and soul searching. I watched every Youtube channel on recovery. My nights consisted on watching
documentaries on how people threw there life away. I joined an online AA etc....

The more i read and researched this addiction, the more i craved drinking. After the 4th day of consuming non stop information, and planning, I relapsed. This relapse went on for 5 more years.

Today I am sober only 13 days. This is the longest time sober I have in 25 years. What seems to be working for me this time, is not researching, planning, and reading others stories. I chose some new reading materials, which includes characters with dragons and wizards. I watch comedies and research information on motorcycle touring. I have surrounded myself in old hobbies, and stopped myself from researching alcoholism, and do not want to attend any meeting that involve the topic of drinking. Just not thinking about this addiction has led me to have some sober time.

Has anybody here had any success with this line of thinking? For myself the more support and constant talking and reading about alcohol was the biggest trigger to my relapse. My goal is just to forget about the past years of drinking and start a new life, with out ever mentioning or talking about drinking. Basically just something I used to do, that I no longer do.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi! Welcome Back! I threw myself into researching and reading every book I could on alcoholism in early days also. I was definitely triggered by Alan Carrs book and therapy. Right after a session I hoofed it to the store for wine. So.... after about 3 sessions I quit therapy!

I know there are some people who used SR only here, quite successfully.

13 days is awesome! Whatever works for you keep doing it!
Old 01-13-2018, 12:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My brain operates exactly the same way as yours! In the past I also thought educating myself would help, but that just got me thinking about alcohol again and I would go have a drink. Even people "supporting" me by not drinking in front of me pissed me off and made me go get a drink.

I'm on day 13 as well and just moving on with my life. I have support and can come here to look for any answers I might have.

Best of luck with your sobriety. We can do this!
Old 01-13-2018, 12:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I ordered lots of books like those you mentioned when i first went to AA, my sponsor looked at me with amazement and said the best thing you can do is to use them as a doorstop and go and buy yourself Lord of the Rings! I did go a bit nuts with self improvement books over the first year but none of them were to do with alcohol just the many other things in my life i was struggling with at the time.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, congrats on 13 days!!!

For me;
I'm either going to drink or I'm not. I wake up everyday choosing not to drink. I am unable to hide from everything that has to do with alcohol, from TV, books (alcohol books or not), billboards, restaurants, etc...

So I fuel myself with ways to deal with those interactions. While AA works for me, it may not be your thing and that's OK.
Do what keeps you sober. I also am in recovery, meaning dealing with all the bs I put people through, been through and all of that is through step work so I am not a dry drunk. I need to move forward from this, but in order to do that, I have to forg myself and make amends! - this is where I relate so much to the program.

Lots of people here have not gone to AA and seem great! I believe under secular connections, there are other methods

Many blessings,
DC
Old 01-13-2018, 01:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I love reading. Some books about recovery have been problematic and triggering for me to the point I've thrown them out. Others just make sense. I'm reading one now which is brilliant . I think it's a case of finding out what works for you and sticking with it.

I struggled with aa as didn't like hearing drinking stories all the time . I'm trying now to focus on what I enjoy doing and what I neglected when drinking.

Whatever works for you 😀
Old 01-13-2018, 02:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I love reading and I read all the time. Sometimes, I read self-help type books and sometimes not. It just depends how I'm feeling at the time. It seems that whenever I have an urge to seek out a self-help book, I learn something significant from it.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Whatever works to keep you sober cotwo - welcome back

D
Old 01-13-2018, 03:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
I love reading. Some books about recovery have been problematic and triggering for me to the point I've thrown them out. Others just make sense. I'm reading one now which is brilliant . I think it's a case of finding out what works for you and sticking with it.
Can I ask you what book you are reading?