Notices

New here, on Day 5

Old 01-06-2018, 09:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here, on Day 5

Hello all. I'm new here. Found this forum when searching for a clear answer about the itchy rash I have. It gets worse when I stop drinking. I can't find that thread but it was very helpful & eased my mind. I specifically asked my doctor if she thought it was from drinking & she said no. This was almost a year ago. I spent a lot of time numbing myself with wine & sometimes stronger stuff. I quit abruptly, my last drink being on Jan 1st. Way to ruin that New Year's resolution! But I got back on the horse & have been ok except for this horribly itchy rash. It comes and goes and moves to different areas but stays mostly on my inner right arm. Suddenly, I get welts, almost blister like, bright red, warm & itchy as heck! I finally gave in & took Benadryl but it makes me so sleepy. Anyway, it's only day 5. I haven't made it longer than 2 weeks for decades. This has been a part of my life since age 12. The only time I truly stopped was during my pregnancies. My kids are now in their 20s I have embarrassed myself & my family many times and I have vowed not to do that again. I don't want to completely abstain but I do want to be in control. I'm not sure how realistic my plan is but for now, I have a plan to not drink until our next wedding anniversary date which is over a month from now. Obviously, I'm concerned about my health and hope this rash will clear up because the itching is relentless. Good luck to everyone on their journey!
Old 01-06-2018, 10:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Have you had your doctor check your burnilin levels? Sometimes if there is lover damage it can cause a rash because of some sort of deposit in the skin. I know your doctor said it didn’t have to do with that but worth another look!

Also I was in your boat, thinking I could control it but I am totally someone who once they start they can’t stop. I found once you have that problem it’s there for a reason. Because we really can’t stop!

Best of luck and I hope you find what you are looking for!
Old 01-07-2018, 04:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I itched like crazy at first too. Combination of quitting and dry air in the house, beginning of heating season. Another trip to the doctor obviously but I also aim to drink a gallon of water a day and benadryl makes a topical spray. Both help.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome - glad you are here. I have found healing in all kinds of big and small things has come in sobriety.